Sunday, November 1, 2015

England, Day Ten, Part Three





Okay people we have one more place to see on our last full day in England.  I hope I'm not tiring you of our visit.  This trip has meant the world to me and I'm so happy to be able to share it with you.

After leaving Sissinghurst, we are traveling to Standen in Grinstead, West Sussex.  This is the Arts and Crafts home of John and Margaret Beale.  The home was designed by Philip Webb in 1894 and was furnished by Morris and Co.   William Morris and Philip Webb founded the Society for the Protection of Ancient Buildings.  ‘We understood one another at once…’ Morris said about Webb.  William Morris is well known for his key role in the Arts and Crafts movement.  Philip Webb played a major role in the movement as well.

Standen is a gem of the Arts and Crafts movement and the house is also a rare example of a Webb design.  It showcases Webb's use of local materials.

Let's see the genius of these two men in the interior and exterior of this wonderful home.




As we walk into the entrance I am immediately drawn to the lovely woodwork and beautiful piano.




Standen was built for the Beales and their seven children as their country home.  James Beale was a successful solicitor (lawyer) from Birmingham.  It is a warm and inviting place.  A place for a family to enjoy.


Snooker Table in the Billard Room


Amy Beale's Rocking Horse, Dobbin-reward for learning her ABC's

I'm sure you know that William Morris is famous for his wallpaper.  This home is loaded with lovely wallpaper.  This particular paper was Morris' trellis design and birds drawn by Philip Webb.  One can still order wallpaper from Morris and Co. as well as other furnishings.




There are so many different patterns to see at Standen.






The Living Room




Look at the gorgeous pillows from this room.  Made from Morris patterned fabric.




We now move into the Dining Room.




I'm thinking of the William Morris quote:

"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."









I'm just loving seeing all the beautiful patterns designed by William Morris.  Lovely textiles are everywhere.

We are now directed to the stairs to view the bedrooms of the Beales.  We enter the bedroom of Amy Beale, the oldest daughter.





"I do not want art for a few any more than education for a few, or freedom for a few."  William Morris









Let's go downstairs to see the kitchen.






Walking into the kitchen we see this gorgeous beauty!




A meal was being prepared.




It's time to go outside and visit the garden.  The spring flowers are so lovely today!




Tomorrow we will be leaving England.  We will be going to one more property in the morning and then we will be boarding the Queen Mary 2 in the afternoon.  Standen has been a lovely home to visit and explore the Arts and Crafts Movement.  Thank you for joining me as we have traveled along the English countryside on our first visit to England.  ♥






22 comments:

  1. OMGOSH-That is just AMAZING!!! The colors and patterns and sense of history there! That shot with the piano is just post card worthy! What a trip you had...and now all these wonderful memories jotted down forever. Thanks so much for taking us along on your trip! I have loved it! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana. Standen is just full of the most beautiful wallpaper, textiles and furnishings. You are so sweet to share my joy! xo ♥

      Delete
  2. Sounds great. You are having a wonderful time in England. Beautiful to see different designs. Wooden piano looks great. Wonderful blossoms of flowers with bright colors...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had some catching up to do, first at Sissinghirst (?) and now here. Love the gardens...herbs, flowers...you were there in spring when they were exceptionally beautiful...the clematis...wow. If we all lived the Morris philosophy in its truest sense, I think we would be happier. I'm pretty sure that I could get rid of the clutter. =D Love many of the color combinations, but sometimes find the patterns overwhelming, even oppressing. I must be weird. Oh and that stove...looks as if it belongs at Downton Abbey...swoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, I understand about the busy patterns. I do think they can be overwhelming if not used sparingly. I have a love hate relationship with wallpaper--it's so difficult to remove when I tire of it! I know I'd be happier if I adhered to William Morris' thoughts about what to have in our homes. Just today I was looking for something and realized I MUST spend some time decluttering a few places where I store things. I couldn't believe the things that I have saved. ♥

      Delete
  4. You certainly had a full day! I'm loving the woodwork, too, and all the pretty designs on the fabrics and wallpaper. I wish they'd design kitchen work tables like that in modern kitchens--so much better than counters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, we went full speed ahead while we were in England. It would be wonderful to have the large kitchen and work table that we saw at Standen. I have a small kitchen and always need more work space. ♥

      Delete
  5. Wow, I hope my husband never reads that quote by William Morris! I could be in trouble.
    You visited a lot of grand homes, didn't you! They're beautiful. I love that trellis wallpaper. Isn't it beautiful. And of course that amazing stove! I've always wanted an Aga, but I'd settle for that one if I had a place to put it, free fuel, and someone to move it for me. :-) I'm so enjoying your trip. Makes me itch to go again - or watch Downton Abbey - not quite the same, but useful anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy, we have done major decluttering in the last few years, but I realize I need to do more! That stove was gorgeous. Have you been watching Home Fires on Masterpiece? I think you'd like it. ♥

      Delete
  6. You are still bringing us a breath of a delightful Spring as we tumble headlong into late Autumn ~~~ what a wonderful gift you bring us! It tears at my heart to read 'our last full day in England' for over the months you have brought so much pleasure. I bet it all seems as if a dream to you now, but, YES! Martha Ellen you were there!
    I am, always, and forever will be, totally besotted and head over heels in love with the Arts and Crafts Movement. For me, there is nothing quite like it. While one can apply the philosophy to "have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." to modern day living, for me it is the original craft of Morris and his contemporaries that sets my heart going pitter pat!
    I wonder what prompted your selection of places to visit? Maybe that is cheeky of me to ask, but there are so many hundreds of places, I know you had to make a choice. I bet it wasn't easy either?
    ~~~waving from Across the Big Water~~~Deb in Wales xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Deb, yes indeed I was there! I will always be grateful for our wonderful trip to England! This month of Thanksgiving brings many thoughts of gratitude and being able to travel is certainly one of them. But my gratitude really is to the friends such as you, dear one, that has bought more joy to this adventure. Being able to share it here with you has meant the world to me and I appreciate you coming along with me.
      Oh, it was very, very, very difficult to choose places to visit! Places I've dreamed of going such as Hilltop and Sissinghurst were easy to put on our agenda. Of course the cathedrals were easy to add. The National Trust was our inspiration and we went from there. Of course Susan Branch's trip provided more inspiration. You are so right, there are hundreds of places that I would love to see in Great Britain! We were very happy to have the taste of England that beckons us to return! xoxo ♥

      Delete
  7. Ahhh! Thank you for sharing with us all you saw and did while you were in England! I will have to revisit these posts one day when I visit. You have provided such a wealth of information and inspiration. Hope you are keeping welll. Happy November, dear one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Rosinda, for following our journey. It was a trip of a lifetime for us. England is full of inspiration and I know you will love visiting there. Happy November to you, sweetie! xoxo ♥

      Delete
  8. What a stunning place. It is grand but at the same time has a proper family feeling about it with so many wonderful things like the rocking horse or the grand piano.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Amalia. It was a home that I believe any family would love! xo ♥

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful home this is, Martha Ellen. I am admiring all the old furniture in the house. The pool table made me smile, as I had one in our family room when I was growing up, and I have to say that I'm pretty good at playing the game. : ) That vanity is so pretty, and the copper tea pot is delightful. What a sweet picture this is. I haven't seen copper in awhile. What an charming house this is, filled with so many interesting things.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, Standen was just beautiful with all the beautiful decor and furnishings. English homes seem to exude charm. ♥

      Delete
  10. I somehow missed this but I'm glad I found it! What a lovely home and so comfortable looking. I'd love to live there. The dining room is interesting with the side wing. And the wall paper so lovely. Thanks for all the photos you took and took the time to share with us. It's been wonderful having this tour with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dotsie, it has been wonderful sharing this trip with you. Being able to relive it with photos and friends have made it come alive for me again. Standen was quite special and as you say comfortable. Thanksgiving would be wonderful in that large dining room! ♥

      Delete
  11. Martha,
    These images are wonderful!! You have captured pictures and places so close to my heart!!
    What a lovely place, with the most perfect of pictures!! (and I adore the picture of you with the background of pretty blue flowers)
    Sending warmth and hugs, love Linnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dearest Linnie, thank you for sharing my joy! I loved being in England. It's hard to understand how my heart feels such a close connection to a place so far away. Standen was a home that felt so warm---just right for a family! Love to you, dear one. ♥

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥