Sunday, December 10, 2017

Allan Bank and Grasmere



After leaving Dove Cottage we drove to the beautiful village of Grasmere.  From here we will visit Allan Bank and have lunch.  Grasmere is a popular spot so we hunted around and found the car park that had available spots.  Getting out of the vehicle I am struck by the sheer beauty that surrounds us!


We began our walk into the village and see many familiar spots that we enjoyed on our last trip to England.


We decided we must go in and get some gingerbread to take with us to enjoy later.


Their gingerbread is like none other we have had.  It is quite flat, but full of delicious spicy flavor! It's a cross between a cookie and cake texture.  So yummy!


Sara Nelson's Grasmere Gingerbread is quite popular and we experienced a line or queue as my British friends like to say.

I tuck our gingerbread into my bag as we head to Baldry's tearoom for lunch.  We enjoyed Baldry's on our last visit and wanted to return.



So many lovely buildings are covered in beautiful ivy that is a  rich, burgundy red color in autumn.  



Grayden ordered the quiche/salad and I had the broccoli soup.  The portions are big enough to share.  We do that a lot when we are eating out to save money and calories!






After having our lunch we climb the hill to visit Allan Bank.  



Walking along there are beautiful sites to see.  


Everywhere there are fairy tale houses.



Before leaving our home in the USA, Grayden and I joined the National Trust and English Heritage.  We also got the Explorer Pass that enabled us to visit the places we wanted to see in Scotland.  It's wonderful to support these organizations that keep these sites open for future generations.  If it weren't for them they would probably be privately owned or demolished.  







Allan Bank is just ahead.  We don't have too much further to walk and go inside.



When Allan Bank was built, William Wordsworth thought it to be a horrible idea.  He felt it would ruin the views of the area.  Well, as time passed and his family grew they needed larger accommodations to rent.  Not having much to choose from they moved to Allan Bank.  It proved to be a wonderful place for his children.  Along with Samuel Taylor Coleridge they made their home here until moving to Rydal Mount in 1813.  

In 1915 Canon Hardwicke Rawnsley bought the property for his retirement.  He was one of the co-founders of the National Trust.  He was the chaplain for King George V in 1912.  A poet and hymn writer, he loved the Lake District.  He was the first published author that Beatrix Potter met.  He encouraged her with her artwork and later to publish The Tale of Peter Rabbit.  Visiting today we are treated to a short reading by actors portraying the beginning of the formation of the National Trust.


The Allan Bank home is quite large and is not in the repair one would think it to be.  The National Trust considers it to be in a state of renovation, but is happy to invite visitors inside.  There have been a couple fires that have nearly destroyed the home.



Since the home is a work in progress, I think you can see why this home needs to be protected.  The views are spectacular!



We talked with a lady who had come up here with her lunch to enjoy the view.  I don't blame her!



When we entered the home we were welcome to take a cup of tea and explore the place.



So we took our tea and headed upstairs.  You can see there is great detail in the woodwork.



I can just imagine what a lovely home this once was.  Wordsworth's sister Dorothy used to complain about the faulty chimneys that would fill the home with smoke as the wind down drafted it into the home.  If you have a chimney you probably have experienced this issue.



Most of the National Trust properties have a room for children to enjoy.  





You can also have a seat and paint if you wish.



I think this home's greatest feature is the view!





As we were leaving Allan Bank we observed a bird in flight heading to the rock cliff behind the home.



This was a glorious walk up to Allan Bank and now as we descend into Grasmere we are enjoying the view.  



All over England there are rock walls that are covered in moss and ferns that are so charming.



And of course sheep.  I couldn't help but photograph them even when we were driving!



Grayden stopped the car many times for me as we just had to photograph the beauty.





Our day ended so lovely. 



Thank you for sharing our day with us in beautiful Grasmere. ♥














30 comments:

  1. Such beautiful pictures! I would've stop as well to capture the beauty of nature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure to join you. Fairytale houses and views for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, we're happy to have you join us on our fairy tale adventure! ♥

      Delete
  3. Lovely photographs! This is another area we intend to explore when we go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, we visited all the spots we didn't have time to visit last time. You are in for a major treat. ♥

      Delete
  4. What a delight to accompany you on your visit to Glasmere! So many things to see and learn. I am happy that Allen Bank is being preserved and is being slated for restoration. It would be a pity for such pieces of history to disappear. And, yes, what a view!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, the National Trust is to be commended for their valiant efforts to preserve so many properties and areas of beauty. I'm so glad you are coming along with us! ♥

      Delete
  5. With your love of photography and such a plethora of subject material, it is a wonder you made any progress along the road at all! Beautiful photos again, as always. ~~~Deb xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, some of my best photos have been taken in a traveling vehicle. You are so right, Great Britain is a photographer's paradise! Thank you for your sweet encouraging words, my friend. xoxo ♥

      Delete
    2. I forgot to mention ~ that small window overlooking the hillside, it makes a perfect frame and could be painted just like that.

      Delete
    3. That window caught my eye, Deb. Its shape is lovely and it frames the view beautifully. ♥

      Delete
  6. Wonderful, wonderful as always. So much to see and do. Last night I was telling my husband about your trip and all the beautiful images; he said I needed to go to England before I get too old! He is not an Anglophile like me, and thinks I need to find a fellow Anglophile to take the trip with, maybe next year. We think one of my friends may be interested. DOn't be surprised if I start grilling you on the best places to go, where to eat, what to pack and on and on and on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jeri, I'm so excited for you! I've said before, you NEED to go to England! I'm very partial to the English countryside. It's hard to put my feelings on paper about this very special part of our world. I'll be happy to share with you all that I love about Great Britain. ♥

      Delete
  7. What a charming village, Martha Ellen. The countryside is so green and beautiful. The gingerbread sounds Yummy. I can see why you wanted to stop there. The tea room sounds delightful. These DO look like fairytale houses. The picture of the rock walls covered in moss is pretty. And those sweet sheep are a sight! I'm not sure if I ever told you this, but I believe that when we see a rainbow it is a gift. Thank you for this gift of a rainbow on your blog today, Martha Ellen. It was a lovely ending to my day. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheri. Seeing a rainbow is a gift! God's gift of His promise to us. When we were in England it was a frequent sight in the heavens. I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing our rainbow. ♥

      Delete
  8. Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog, I appreciate it so very much. These photos are so beautiful, I enjoy these posts very much. So neat to step back in time... Have a wonderful evening.

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed visiting with us in England, Jill. Thinking of you. ♥

      Delete
  9. I have not finished reading all but wanted to comment first that you have some post card perfect pictures posted. So lovely. I do like those tea cups hanging in the window. The gingerbread sounds like the German ginger bread cake like cookies. I warm mine a little with coffee. Well off to catch up with your travels. betsy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, the gingerbread in Grasemere is quite different than German Lebkuchen. It's a more crunchy, spicy delious treat that can only be found only in Grasmere.
      England is one big post card! Thank you for your sweet comments. ♥

      Delete
  10. Wow...how great it was to be able to travel that far and enjoy such wonderful sites. Thank you so much for sharing it will us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, we had the most wonderful time. It's nice to share it all over again. Thank you for coming along. ♥

      Delete
  11. It's all so amazing and so different from anything we see in this part of our country. I love seeing the books and children's toys too. I'm so glad you took lots of photos to share! Holiday hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diane, I took so many photos --let's just say thousands! It's hard not to post them all. Families visit these places and children are always welcome to play. Have a wonderful afternoon! ♥

      Delete
  12. I’m enjoying this tour with you not only for the wonderful pictures but the education. I just adore the countryside and the charming things like the rock walls with moss and ferns. The picture with the sheep is my favorite. I’m glad there is a National Trust to help preserve places like this. The different food you came across sound wonderful. I am not a tea drinker but it sounds like I would have to get used to it over there! Thank you again for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, if you want charm, then England is the place to go! The countryside is so pastoral with sheep grazing everywhere. Grayden is not a tea drinker either, so he ordered an Americano or a mocha everywhere we went. We have found traveling to be a great education. Thank you for coming along on our golden anniversary trip! ♥

      Delete
  13. So nice you visited Grassmere and Allan Bank. I think it's so exciting to see the same views from the house as William Wordsworth did. I have lots of sweet memories of our holidays in England. Like you my husband had to stop several times during touring around for me making photos of the wonderful scenes and especially sheep, haha.
    Regards, Janneke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Janneke. You know the charm of England and the many photo opportunities. I'm so glad you are coming along with us as we remember our trip! Have a lovely weekend. ♥

      Delete
  14. Martha, what a lovely day you've shared with us. The green hills and the sheep and the stone walls and on and on ... I love it all!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥