Monday, August 19, 2019

Haugesund, Norway


For those who have been following our travels to Norway, today I'd like to share our first stop in this magical kingdom.  We were so excited to view the first outcroppings from our stateroom balcony.  Tiny islands dotting the way to the entrance of our first stop. 




In the early hours of the morning the Queen Victoria made her entrance into the harbor of Haugesund.  Haugesund is known in part for its history in the Viking Age.  The first King of Norway, Harald Fairhair, once called it his home in 870.  The area of Haugesund is mentioned in Norse sagas.  These are stories about the Nordic history that was written in the Old Norse language.  We learned that some is fact and some is fiction and were composed in the 12th and 14th centuries.  In 1854 King Oscar I of Sweden and Norway declared Haugesund a town.  The population at the time was only one thousand.  



Haugesund developed more and more into a port that exported herring.  



Grayden and I decided to take a tour around Haugesund.  The first extraordinary sense we notice is the fresh air--so clean and noticeably so!  I do hope you come along with us as we enjoy our first day.  Make sure you take a jacket as there is quite a chill in the air.



As we board the bus, we are greeted by our friendly tour guide.  A lovely woman that filled our brains with many facts as we tootled along and across the bridge into the town of Haugesund.  



We stopped at the Town Hall and viewed the lovely pink building that was a gift from a local ship owner and his wife.  It was designed by Gudolf Blakstad and Herman Munthe-Kaas in the neo-classical style.




There is a lovely park surrounding the area with lovely flowers.  The busts of the benefactors Knutsen and his wife Elizabeth grace the grounds. 







 We now boarded the bus and continue exploring the lovely village along with our fellow passengers.  We couldn't help but notice the next extraordinary sense of cleanliness in Norway.  Not a speck of trash was anywhere!



A sense of beauty and freshness combined to create a wonderful ride up the ridge to view the harbor.


As you can see, the Queen Victoria is docked in the harbor below.


We are treated to wonderful views as we climb above the tree line.





It was such a lovely day to view the surroundings.  Rocks and trees and all sorts of wildflowers made my heart happy to see.









It was time to travel back down the mountain and continue along with the tour.



The National Monument of Unification is in the town of Haraldshaugen and commemorates the unification of Norway and is believed to be the site where King Harald Fairhair is buried.  






The very old stone cross dates from the year 1000.  It is believed that it stands on the site of where mass was held before a church was built. 



Again we saw many lovely flowers around the monument and up to the cross.





 The Rugosa Roses filled the air with a most heavenly scent.



Tiled rooftop homes line the hills surrounding the area.  All with pristine lawns and gleaming windows.



Traveling along the roads I love seeing the bright colored homes and businesses.  



Smedasundet Harbor has restaurants and shops if you wish to stop.  They hold an annual Havnedagene for five weeks in July to celebrate all the traditions relating to Haugesund's maritime culture.






Before boarding the ship, Grayden and I couldn't resist! 


When the Queen Victoria dropped her lines she turned to the North Sea to follow our course to our next stop.



The skill that takes us through the narrow passages impresses us.  The Queen Victoria is a very large vessel and Captain Hall commands it brilliantly. 




Thank you for coming along with us to Haugesund.  Our next stop will take us into the fjords where the scenery is breathtakingly gorgeous.  





30 comments:

  1. Grayden the Bold and his Fair Lady! Parts of the town look not dissimilar to parts of Reykjavik. I am certain Harald Fairhair had something to do with Iceland, but then Iceland was originally under Norwegian rule, so back to my history books I go! Was he King of Norway at the time of Settlement? That would make sense now. Oh, me and my ramblings! Lovely photos and the adventure continues.

    ~~~Waving~~~From Across the Pond~~~Deb in Wales xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, Harald Fairhair was the first king of Norway. I'm sure there is an Icelandic connection. Love the names you bestowed on us, Deb. xoxo ♥

      Delete
  2. Love you two “in costume” and yours is especially lovely. Haugesund is a beautiful place and I really like the colors of the houses...cheery, but not too vivid. Looking forward to more of the journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haugesund left quite an impression on us, Vee. I'm so glad you are joining us on our adventure. ♥

      Delete
  3. I love your Viking King and maiden (?) poses. That dress is beautiful and looks great "on" you. :-) I look forward to more beautiful scenery as you continue your trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now if only I had a waist like that, Cathy! I hope it won't be long before my next post. I seem to be in slow motion these days. ♥

      Delete
  4. Of course the highlight of the trip has to be you two dressed in costume. You really do look lovely! All the strange names might give me fits on this trip, but I surely do love the beautiful scenery. Now bring on the fjords!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't begin to pronounce the names. Even hearing them from our guide sounded odd to my ear, Mary. My photos couldn't possible capture all the beauty of Norway, but I'll sure bore you with them. The fjords knocked my socks off! ♥

      Delete
  5. Another lovely post, with wonderful pictures! I enjoy going on these trips with you :-)

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill. I'm so glad you enjoyed our trip! Stay tuned for more of beautiful Norway.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! Love those bright colored home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norway is truly beautiful, Krishna. The freshly painted homes are so cheerful.

      Delete
  7. What a beautiful place, I appreciate you sharing it with us. We've watched The Vikings for several seasons.. did they say much about that program? ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, we never heard The Vikings program mentioned. Norway truly is a lovely place on our planet. Have a great day. ♥

      Delete
  8. Oh, how delightful you both look in the costume pictures, Martha Ellen. Norway is beautiful, and what a wonderful trip you had. The grounds are so pretty with all the flowers, and I like that fountain. Isn't that something that it's so clean with no trash anywhere? Even the wildflowers are a sight! That stone cross really goes way back in time. I would love to browse through all the shops you mentioned there. Beautiful waters to gaze at. What a peaceful place to visit, Martha Ellen.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, it was fun to pretend we were Vikings. Norway is to be commended for keeping their country so pristine. Even when we visited a large city--so clean--the fresh air was quite noticeable. Norway was a very peaceful and lovely country to visit.

      Delete
  9. Love the photo ops with you and Grayden as Vikings! What fun! :)

    Oh, I have enjoyed this first stop in Norway! I didn't mind the chill at all (maybe because it was SO hot here today) and loved breathing in that cool fresh air and seeing such gorgeous scenery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, the clean cool air of Norway has been so refreshing to revisit these oppressive days. I'm so glad you didn't mind a little chill. ♥

      Delete
  10. It is a joy to sit at the computer and have a peek at your amazing trip to an area I know little about! It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Martha Ellen ...You look every bit the "Queen of Norway" ( ha ha) ..What a fabulous journey you are having . Local flora and history would certainly be enlightening and enjoyable in a cooler climate....although, it might get a littler nippier than you used to ... possibly it's more exhilerating!!! The cross is extraordinary... It is wonderful that you were able to glean some history on it. It's so enjoyable moving through the narrow passages and beautiful scenery with you both. Thank you for sharing this special cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zaa for the laughs! We enjoyed visiting Norway for the first time. I can't wait to show you the beauty that takes us through the fjords. I'm so glad you are coming along with us. ♥

      Delete
  12. Yes, I've finally caught up with your posts :)
    Am loving the Norway trip, it all looks fabulous and I like your description 'magical kingdom'
    Love the photographs of you and Grayden as Vikings!

    Will be back soon to read your next post.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for catching up, dear Jan. Norway is a magical kingdom that left quite an impression on us. So clean and lovely in every way!
      I see you have left comments on the past posts. I appreciate it very much. I hope you are well and enjoying the last days of summer.

      Delete
  13. A wonderful tour Martha Ellen. All the things you mentioned I noticed also on our trip there a few years ago. I loved the country and was fortunately to visit three times, twice when my sister and her family lived in Norway for several years. It is an amazing country. You two look very Nordic in the national costume :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, it's nice to hear you share my thoughts about Norway. We loved our visit there. How lovely you have been several times. I don't know if we'll be able to return, but I'd certainly love that! Thank you for your sweet comments.

      Delete
  14. This is beautiful, Martha Ellen. I'm only familiar with Norway through one blogger, Tracy. You are sharing things she hasn't shown and I'm getting a bit of a yen to add this to the travel list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, the fjords have been on our bucket list for a while. I never in my wildest dreams thought we could go, but I am more than glad we did. Our planet never ceases to amaze my soul! ♥

      Delete
  15. The area looks so clean. I love those colorful buildings. You both look great as Vikings! The wildflowers are a treat to behold. Would love to smell the scent of those roses. Happy last week of August to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ellen. How can August be over so quickly? Norway certainly captured our hearts on many levels. Have a nice week. ♥

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥