Sunday, September 3, 2023

Gifts from My Garden

Returning home from our World Voyage at the end of May I realized that our patio garden would not be much this year.  I usually spend a lot of time in our garden weeding and planting in early spring.  I spend time deciding which annuals to plant in the planter.  Spring was just about over when we returned.  There was a lot to do as you can imagine after being gone for five months.  I looked longingly outside and realized that there would be slim pickings on our patio that I usually filled with pots of annuals.  Our brick planter showed no signs of anything popping up.  I must admit I was disappointed not seeing any signs of life.  The weather was quite warm and I felt it was too late to buy plants that would not have the advantage of early Spring growing. 



 Flowers are so nice to have about our home.  Grayden buys me inexpensive flowers when we go to the grocery store.  Lately we have been getting the minature carnations that seem to last weeks and weeks.  All you have to do is change the water frequently (adding floral food and recutting the stems).




One morning when we returned from our walk, we noticed small little plants of vinca popping up in our driveway.  This area had a hanging basket and several pots of vinca nearby last growing season.  This really showed promise to me and I decided to plant in late June!  I must admit I thought this was a crazy idea.  If you know our area, we have very hot and humid summers.  Not really conducive to late plantings.  I've used volunteers from my garden for many years, but never this late in the season.  Grayden encouraged me to give it a try. Planting one inch seedlings in the planter made me wonder what was I thinking.  But, you've probably guessed that they have done well!


 


Even this little pot of begonias was a volunteer from a past years garden.



This little shamrock plant is blooming as it spends its summers on the patio.  I find many plants love to sit on the patio with us.  It spends its winters inside our home.


Our geraniums are probably at least 15 years old.  They spend their winters in our basement under grow lux bulbs.  If you look to the left there is a tomato plant that I found growing in the compost.  Hopefully the green tomatoes will ripen soon. 


A new guest to our patio this year has been the Zebra Swallowtail.  

 

Oh me, this gardener has learned a lot this growing season.  It reminds me to always have hope.  I pray I will always have hope in all areas of my life.  What life lessons did you learn from your garden this year?  










24 comments:

  1. I am not sure who said it, but there is a lovely saying that says to plant a garden is to have hope in tomorrow. As you know, my health is poor consequently, my garden has been neglected. however, it has continued to grow much. weeding or maintenance. Yes, there are certain things growing where I don't want them. Many things might be classed as weeds, but all in all, it's doing well on its own. So I guess what I have learned is nature will take over where we cannot. continue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, that saying is so true, isn't it? Though you can't do what you used to in your garden, you laid the bones that will always be there. I think of that often as some of my stepping stones throughout my garden sink lower and lower into the earth. Wondering what will happen in the future when someone comes upon them. Nature will take over. Sending you hugs, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Your home looks cozy and your garden beautiful -- surprisingly so for a late start! Now, about that mug -- is that something you found in a small shop or from a spot where one can order? I've been looking for a Charles mug to add to my royal pottery/china collection and haven't really seen any I liked but I do like that one very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, I should have taken photos of the pitiful start of vinca in our planter. I have been so pleased that they really took off. The King Charles mug came from a shop in the New Forest area near Southampton, England. A small little place in the quaint village of Lyndhurst. The shop keepers were so nice there and we had a lovely chat about the upcoming coronation. I'm sorry I don't know the name of the shop. On the bottom I see it was designed by Madeleine Floyd. Maybe her website could help
      https://www.madeleinefloyd.com/mugs

      Delete
  3. Hope is good. How nice that you have sweet flower beds to enjoy even though you were gone in the Spring. That Zebra Swallowtail is beautiful. Happy Labor Day to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, your carnations are so pretty, Martha Ellen. I can smell them from here, and they are one of my favorite flowers. Yes, they last a long time, and you can enjoy them for days. The pink miniature carnations look sweet on your table, and I really like your table cloth. Your garden is coming along, and I like that little shamrock plant. Your flowers look so nice along the edge of the brick planter. Wow, what a beauty that zebra butterfly is. And I always love to see your charming home. I noticed the little end table, and wondered if that was a heart-shaped one? My mom gave me one just like that, but I gave it to my sister-in-law. I miss it sometimes. ; ) Looks like that spot has lots of sunlight coming through to read and such. A wonderful post today, Martha Ellen, and thank you for coming over and meeting Charlotte.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These mini carnations have been a nice find recently, Sheri. I had little faith that my planter would have flowers this year, so it's been a good lesson for me. That is so neat you had a heart table like mine. So sweet of you to give it to your sister-in-law. Our morning sun streams quite brightly through the living room window in the mornings. Congratulations on your sweet new granddaughter. She's a beautiful blessing!

      Delete
  5. The gifts from your garden are a delight Martha Ellen. All the flowers are exquisite in their pretty vases. You have a beautiful garden and an equally beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Denise. My passion for gardening has given me a lifelong purpose. I hope you are staying cool inside today as it definitely is not a gardening day.

      Delete
    2. Hello again, yes I am keeping cool and staying inside during this heatwave we seem to be having. I hope you are staying cool also. No going to my favorite gardens I don't think this week. We have rain in the forecast for several days.

      Delete
    3. Denise, these are definitely indoor days! I hope we get some rain as we are so dry. I've had to venture out to water some things and it's so hot and humid! Hopefully this is summer's last hurrah!

      Delete
  6. A very quantity of beautiful flowers and a best garden full with more beauty flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like those hangings on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a happy surprise that your garden had some gifts for you! Of course, Grayden's gifts of bouquets are also treasures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, dear Cheryl, I'm always (slow learner) surprised at what comes up from our garden. Sending you happy thoughts for a nice week ahead!

      Delete
  9. I have never seen a Zebra Swallowtail before! It is lovely that Grayden buys you flowers. So very thoughtful of him. And 15 years to keep those Geraniums alive is remarkable! Loved your little reading spot in your Living Room, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, this is the first year seeing the Zebra Swallowtail in our garden. I do love when we see new things in our garden. This past week we moved the furniture around in the living room, but this chair is always one that we both enjoy sitting in and bringing out the ottoman to really relax! Hope you are well, my friend.

      Delete
  10. Your flowers are gorgeous and although I'm sure it takes a lot of work it also brings a lot of joy. We had so much rain this summer that my flowers didn't do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judee, gardening brings so much joy to my life. Thank you for your sweet comment. I'm sorry you've had so much rain. We unfortunately are in drought conditions. Hopefully we'll get the much needed rain soon.

      Delete
  11. Your garden flowers and those in the vases look lovely.
    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan
    https://thelowcarbdiabetic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥