Thursday, February 22, 2024

Colossi of Memnon

As we have been remembering our World Voyage, I have been posting about our time in Egypt.  It was a dream come true for me to stand in the sand where this ancient civilization lived!  Today I'd like to continue with our excursion in Luxor.


After visiting Valley of the Kings we continued with our group to the Colossi of Memnon.  Two large statues of the Pharoah Amenhotep III are the remains that stood guard of the Mortuary (Memorial) Temple of Amenhotep III, the largest temple in the Theban Necropolis.  Though the temple no longer stands, the very large statues still stand guard and are quite impressive to view.



The statues were known by the Greeks and the Romans and have stood here since 1350 BC!  


You can clearly see their enormous size in relation to the people viewing them. They stand 60 feet tall and weigh approximately 720 tons each.  Amenhotep III is depicted seated with his hands resting on his knees as he faces eastward.


These statues are made from quartzite-sandstone that was from an area in el-Gabal  el- Ahmar that is now modern day Cairo.  Considering that is 420 miles from Thebes that is quite a feat!  The stones were too large to ferry up the Nile so they were transported overland.


It is believed the statues were toppled by two earthquakes.  The damage is quite visible.  The Romans rebuilt them and placed them on the pedestals that we see here. 


The statues contain Greek and Latin inscriptions dating from AD 20 and 250.  References to the Greek mythical king Memnon (a hero of the Trojan War) has given the Thebes Necropolis the name, the Memnonium.  They did not know these were actually twin statues of Amenhotep III.


Though the damage is evident, of course the fact they still remain is astonishing after thousands of years of earthquakes, sand storms, and floods.


After an earthquake in 27 BC the northern statue fractured from the waist up.  It was said that afterwards the remaining lower half would "sing" usually within an hour or two of sunrise in February and March.  




The legend of the "Vocal Memnon" is said to bring luck to the listener.  We did not hear the singing, but we both certainly enjoyed seeing the Colossi of Memnon.  


It was now time for us to continue with our tour.  We have more to show you in Luxor as time permits.  Thank you so much for visiting and helping us to remember these special times, my friends. 









29 comments:

  1. Martha Ellen, it is fascinating to think of how these giant statues were created so many years ago. Although technology has advanced, man's problem-solving skills and ability to create is not new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ingenuity of man is amazing! Cheryl, you are so right about the problem-solving skills of man not being new.

      Delete
  2. Amazing! And what springs to mind is could they have been the inspiration for the Pillars of the Argonath? I know the Nile brought fertile lands surrounding it, but one can't help wonder why the Ancients lived in what appears to be such an arid and barren region. I wonder if it was very different many thousands of years past? Thank you for superb photos and information, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the Colossi of Memnon was an inspiration to Tolkien, Deb. After a discussion with my grandson Samuel, he felt maybe so as well. Lots to ponder about the ancients! Especially, without the Nile I'm pretty sure man could not survive this area.
      Enjoy a restful weekend, dear friend.

      Delete
  3. Whenever I see images of those mammoth statues with people underneath I am in awe. They must be enormous with the "real" people being so tiny. An amazing sight. I suspect the whole of this area what like that. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, these huge structures stand to the testimony of the ingenuity of man. Yes, Wow!

      Delete
  4. That's really something that the statues are still standing after all this time and through two earthquakes. I've heard of King Memnon while watching the movie "Troy." You had such an interesting time on your travels to Egypt. This is a lovely picture of you in Pink.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, we've never seen the movie "Troy" so we'll have to look for it. Our time in Egypt was a dream come true for me. It's one I'll always cherish, my friend.

      Delete
    2. It was actually Agamemnon in Troy. I wonder if it's the same person?

      Delete
    3. I suspect it is the same, Sheri. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I need to look this up. Have a nice afternoon.

      Delete
  5. Those statues certainly are huge, your photographs show them well.
    An amazing tour.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time in Egypt was full of sights and sounds that filled my heart with joy, Jan. Thank you for your comments.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing places I always wanted to see but will only visit through your amazing photos my dear friend. Your descriptions are truly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise, it is my pleasure to share them with you my dear friend. Reliving these special times keeps them alive in our hearts.

      Delete
    2. Hello Martha Ellen, just dropping in to say hi and wish you and Graden a great weekend coming up. Hope you enjoyed this wonderful weather we had today.

      Delete
    3. Glad you stopped by, my dear friend. We had a nice morning working in the yard and then trying to figure out how to keep our food cold as our refrigerator is on the blink. We have one on order, but it won't be in for another week. We knew the day would come as this appliance is 28 years old! I hope you and Gregg enjoy a great weekend as well. Today was just gorgeous!

      Delete
    4. Back again, thanks for the lovely comments you leave. I see I misspelled Grayden's name didn't I? Many apologies, I must not have been quite awake on my last visit :) Today's gorgeous too isn't it? Love this weather we are having!

      Delete
    5. No apologies are necessary, Denise. It has been gorgeous today, my friend! I love it too. It's always enjoyable visiting your blog and seeing your beautiful photos and great information. Have a great evening.

      Delete
    6. Hello my friend, just came back to say hi and wish you a great week ahead. It gives me another chance to see these wonderful photos, and also to say what a gorgeous header shot, so pretty! Thanks also for your comment today, always appreciate and enjoy :)

      Delete
  7. It just amazes me how they were erected. A wonder. A great picture of you out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Betsy the statues of Amenhotep III must have taken brilliant ingenuity and labor for sure. Have a nice weekend.

      Delete
  8. Hello! My goodness! What beautiful, amazing, treasures you shared here, my friend! Thank you so much for allowing me to see something I would never otherwise see. I am sharing this with Flynn, as we studied about this in World History. Have a cozy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you shared our travels to Egypt with Flynn. I was younger than her when my fascination with all things Egyptian captured me. I hope your weekend is cozy as well. It's pouring here and we have the gas logs on!

      Delete
  9. So amazing. We have been to Cairo many many years ago but hadn't ventured further out in the the other parts of Egypt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hena, I would absolutely love to visit Cairo one day. Thank you for stopping by my little space.

      Delete
  10. Wow another fascinating tour. Amazing that those statues are still intact as they are. So much history, it must be so gratifying to have been on this trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so special for us Liz. Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
  11. Magnificient. We have been to Cairo but never Luxor. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such amazing pictures, I've never been to egypt thanks so much for sharing, looks and sounds amazing and filled with incredible history! Hope you have an amazing Spring season!

    xoxo, Midori

    https://www.midorilinea.com/blogs/midori-linea/my-daughters-turns-one-photoshoot

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥