Monday, April 29, 2024

New Sightings

 We all love seeing critters that are our first sightings, don't we?  I get so excited when a bird that is new to my yard makes an appearance.  Especially one that I thought only moved around at night!  Though he or she didn't stay for long, I managed to capture what I thought was a large hawk. Upon further observation and cropping in my photo,  I think we spotted an owl on the fence. 


 I was only able to take two photos from the dining room through the Florida room windows before he flew away.   So I apologize for the poor quality of the photo and the lack of a frontal view. Take notice of his head and the ears that look like a feline. Reading more about these owls I learned that though they prefer hunting at night but they will occasionally hunt during the day.   

Samuel reminded us that some folks call owls "flying cats."  I can really see the resemblance.  I do worry about our feathered friends when a mighty hunter visits.  Yesterday we had a very large hawk visit as well.  By the time I got to my camera he was off to find a meal somewhere else.  For that I was thankful!

After looking online for identification, I can only imagine this owl was a Great Horned Owl.  If any of you know different, I'd love to hear. 

When we were in Williamsburg we also saw a critter from our balcony.  There was a pond with a fountain that sounded so peaceful behind our unit.


 As you can imagine we enjoyed our tea and coffee and occasional meals on the balcony.  Grayden spotted a very large turtle swimming one afternoon.  Of course I had to take a picture the best I could from the third floor.


I cropped the photo in hopes of further identifying him.  I believe he is a Common Snapping Turtle.

The Common Snapping Turtle (Chelydra Serpentina) is seen in fresh waters in the USA down to Florida and up to Nova Scotia and out to the Rocky Mountains. 


He was quite large and a great swimmer.  Upon further reading about him, I learned he is basically harmless in the water, but on land can be quite combative with his beak like jaws.  In the water he is more likely to hide in the sediment of his habitat if approached. 


Most Common Snapping Turtles weigh up to 22 pounds at maturity.  Though in captivity, where they are overfed, they can weigh much more - up to 75 pounds!


Have you ever seen a Common Snapping Turtle?  This is a first for me, though not in our backyard.

Also we observed a rather interesting sad couple of Canada Geese that lived near this same pond.  They appeared to be a happy couple, but upon further observation one had a wing problem. 



 


The other goose limped with each step as he ate from the grassy area.


These two geese stayed close together and seemed to watch out for each other.  They never flew from this area.  We can only surmise that they felt safe here together.  No other geese flew into the pond, though many flew above in the evenings.  It was like their own little hideaway.  At least that's what I'm hoping.  I do know injured animals are vulnerable to predators.  We did not go near them to see if they had a nest as we know better than to do that as they can get quite aggressive if they feel their nest is in danger.  


I do hope for the best as these two make their way in the coming days. 
 
"I firmly believe that nature brings solace in all troubles." Anne Frank














 

25 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a glorious bunch of critters, Martha Ellen! I love that turtle -- it's always a treat to see one. I've never heard the comparison of owls to cats but it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, our grandson loves nature and fills me with interesting facts. Yes, the owl had a feline appearance. This fact is one that I've never heard as well. Have a happy evening.

      Delete
  3. It certainly does look like a Great Horned Owl! What an incredible privilege to have one in your garden.
    To answer your question, yes I have seen many a Snapping Turtle when I lived in Virginia. I also saw several Cottonmouth snakes too!
    Nature is just so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooops, that last comment was from me, Deb in Wales! Back to being anon again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to hear you have seen a snapping turtle, my friend. I've lived in Virginia my whole life and this is a first for me! The owl was a wonderful sighting, though quite brief. Yes, nature is amazing. Hope today has been a good one.

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see these photos Martha Ellen. The snapper must be a big one if you snapped it from your third floor. We see quite a few of them during the year, generally at the parks we go to. They are quite formidable looking aren't they? Happy May to you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise. The snapper was quite large looking. You are right, I didn't see him on land, but I certainly wouldn't want to get close. That's so neat that you have seen many of them at the beautiful parks you visit. We need to take time to do that! I can hardly believe tomorrow is May, dear friend! Happy May to you as well.

      Delete
    2. Well, seeing your snapper reminded me that we hadn't been to Huntley Meadows in several months, so that's where we went yesterday, and we did see some snappers. One looked like he was sleeping under the water as only his shell was visible, and the others were swimming a little distance away. Thank you for sowing the seed. We took a break and headed over there thanks to your photos. It was so much fun! A long walk but worth it with lots of sit downs along the way.

      Delete
    3. That's so nice you saw some snappers on your trip to Huntley Meadows! How exciting to see several. You are so sweet to tell me I planted a seed. I'm hoping you will share photos on your posts. Long walks are so nice when sit downs are available, if not imperative, for me!

      Delete
    4. It’s true my friend and the trip to Huntley has already been posted. I think you have seen them by now. Imperative for me too :) Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  6. What a variety of critters you saw along the way, Martha Ellen. How wonderful to see the Owl. I've always wanted to see one in person. The turtle is unique, and the information about him was interesting. aahh, those geese....I hope their wing and leg heals. I am very familiar with this bird, as I used to see them often at the trail in my hometown. Yes, they are protective and always stay close to their mate warning the others with a loud honk! Thanks for sharing some of the nature in your world, Martha Ellen. Anne Frank's quote is so special.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, it was so exciting to realize that was an owl in my photo. Sometimes I don't know what I've took a picture of! Lol I'm so glad you stopped by to look at my latest views, my friend.

      Delete
  7. Such a fun time of year for spotting critters returning and showing their colors. Happy May to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, my friend. I enjoyed your post today. That owl is something! I have never seen one quite so close! I appreciate your knowledge on all these critters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by, Billie Jo. Whenever I see a new to me critter I always try to find out all I can about it. Happy weekend, my friend.

      Delete
  9. Many thanks for sharing your sightings.
    How lovely to see the owl, you did well in getting that photograph.

    Wishing you a happy weekend.
    We had a beautiful sunny day today and it was lovely to enjoy a walk ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish the photo of the owl were better, Jan. I'm so glad to hear you had a beautiful sunny day and were able to enjoy a lovely walk. Today was quite cloudy and cool with a few sprinkles here and there. We were still able to take our morning walk. Happy weekend to you!

      Delete
  10. We used to see a lot of snapping turtles when we lived in Wisconsin. Since moving here to South Dakota, we have only seen one turtle and I think it was lost as there was no water within miles of where it was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly need a water source, don't they? Thank you for stopping by. I remember how lovely South Dakota was when we visited many years ago, particularly Crazy Horse. It was just being sculpted and we could only see his outstretched arm from a distance.

      Delete
  11. I love your beautiful blog. The snapping turtles are amazing. I enjoyed visiting your part of the country.

    Happy Mother's Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet comment, Brenda Kay. Thank you for taking a look at our nature sightings.

      Delete
  12. Great pictures.. I'll have to agree with Anne Frank on that.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥