Sunday, May 19, 2024

At Home with Nature

It's always exciting to view nature at home.  We live in a neighborhood, not out in the countryside, though that would be lovely. 


 Over the 50 years we have lived here we have added every plant that occupies our property, except the large trees that have grown greatly in those many years.  One of the oak trees that is quite close to our home had to have a limb removed several years ago.  This year we noticed a hole developing in this tree that our children used to call "the man in the brown suit."  Our children used to play soccer in our backyard and "the man in the brown suit" deflected many passes on their attempts to make a goal nearby.


We decided to have our tree surgeon take a look at this hole as one of our trees had a similar hole and we had to have it removed.  The tree surgeon used a ladder and took a look at it closely.  He said we needn't worry as this hole was shallow and should close up over the years.  So we are happy that "the man in the brown suit" can stay here at least for a few more years.


We were happy to see the eastern tiger swallowtail butterfly.  I spotted this beauty on an early morning during the first part of May.  I don't think I've ever spied one in the garden that early.


This butterfly is Virginia's state insect.  The poor thing looks as if it has had a run in with maybe a bird as its wing is damaged.  It stayed quite a while enjoying the nectar of the columbine.  I've not seen another since then.


Mr. and Mrs. Cardinal always enjoy the offerings at the feeder.  The poor Mrs. feels the same as I, too much rain lately!  She looks similar to me after taking our walk yesterday believing the weather radar map to be true.

I was so surprised when I looked out the dining room door and saw a flock of birds flying to the holly tree.  This holly was full of red berries that these birds were after.  After getting a better look, I discovered that they were cedar waxwings.  It's been years since we've seen them here.  



These beautiful birds come in by the hundreds and eat every berry in sight!  


It was hard to get a photo as they work fast eating all the fruit they can.


They can survive on "fruit only" for a few months unlike other birds.  Unfortunately cedar waxwings can eat too much ripe fruit and become intoxicated and pass away.


When the wing is being formed and many berries are eaten the red pigment turns the tip orange!


I was also treated to see another beauty at our feeder for only a few moments.


This rose-breasted grosbeak is a new sighting for me!  My photos don't do him justice.


According to my Field Guide of Birds this one appears to be a male.


Though we didn't hear his voice, it rises and falls similar to a robin's song.  Some say it has more feeling as if a robin has taken voice lessons.


I often think of Gladys Taber's quote:

"As long as you have a window, life is exciting."

Thanks for taking a look outside our windows!







19 comments:

  1. You have a truly remarkable garden! What joy to have lived in the same home for over fifty years, a remarkable feat indeed, for you have made it your own though many changes have occurred.
    Other than when I was moving around with the US Navy I, too, have lived in only two houses. One, that belonged to my Great Grandmother, and now this past 30 years in the house my father built.
    I doubt there are many who can claim such an achievement these days?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb it's hard to believe we have been in this home so long. We've seen a lot of changes to our area over these years. You too have experienced a special bond to living in one spot for years. That is so special that your home was built by your father. And also to have lived with your great grandmother is incredible. So many folks move around for all sorts of reasons but we never felt the need. Take care of yourself and enjoy the evening, my friend.

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoyed your garden Martha Ellen, from those gorgeous flowers to the endearing birds, and Eastern Swallowtail butterfly! I haven’t seen any yet and am looking forward to my first sighting. I also like your garden angel, so sweet. I am happy that you didn’t have to remove “the man in the brown suit”. I was very sad we had to have two of ours taken down due to the danger of them falling on our house or neighbor's house. May you keep yours for many, many more years to come. I would be thrilled to see a Cedar Waxing in our garden. The first and last time was on holiday several years ago. I did not know that sad fact about them and the other fascinated tidbits. I am 99 percent sure I saw a female rose-breasted grosbeak at our feeder last year but it was a momentary thing and no male unfortunately. Oh no, your photos most definitely do him and others justice and the lighting was perfect! Thank you for such a wonderful post, and I was happy to learn the facts you shared also. Have a great week dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise we are so happy that "the man in the brown suit" can live. Sadly over the years we have had to take down so many trees. I'm sorry you have experienced the same! I purchased the angel in the garden as a memory of my Mama many years ago. Here's hoping the cedar waxwings will fly your way soon. When I was looking at the information on the rose-breasted grosbeak the female looked very different --that's great you have seen one! This fellow didn't stick around very long as well, but he certainly thrilled us! I hope your week is off to a great start dear friend!

      Delete
    2. Hello again, I came by to wish you a Happy June and to thank you for all your lovely comments. I am always very happy when I see your name. So touching you purchased the angel as a memory to your Mama. I have enjoyed looking at your photos again also. Always a pleasure to visit.

      Delete
  3. Oh Martha Ellen, these are wonderful photos of nature around your home. Every state has different birds, and I don't see these birds in the mountains where I live. That's interesting about the cedar waxwings and their tip turning orange. And the rose-breasted bird is so sweet. That's good news about your old oak tree not having to be cut down. It's wonderful that this tree has been a part of your children's lives, and they enjoyed it growing up. The butterfly is beautiful, and yes, we often see their wings damaged for one reason or another. This was a truly lovely post, Martha Ellen. I enjoyed every bit of it. : )

    Have a good May week, dear friend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri it's so nice to read your sweet comments. It's so true that every area has different flora and fauna. We don't often see cedar waxwings as I can't remember how long ago we spotted them eating the dogwood berries that time. And the rose-breasted grosbeak was a first time visitor for my eyes. I do love watching nature in all of her glory. I hope you will enjoy these last few days of May as well, dear friend!

      Delete
  4. You got so many pretty bird pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hena it was exciting to take a few photos of birds that I don't see often. I appreciate your kind comments.

      Delete
  5. Martha Ellen, what a haven your world is! The flowers, the birds -- every photo is a gem and what a gorgeous variety. I love the butterflies, too. I just love the idea of the man in the brown suit. I'm glad he gets to stick around for a bit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie I was really happy to grab my camera quickly when these birds visited so briefly. "The man in the brown suit" is a sweet memory that we often speak of here. We are so happy to have a diagnosis that will allow him to stay!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for naming the birds and butterflies. I see them sometimes but not knowing the name. I feel like Gladys Tabor. Doesn't cost a thing to see such beauty out side of our windows. We live in a neighborhood also but you would think it's deep in the forest with an occasional fox running near our creek and my favorites, the owl sounds in the evening. I love hearing them, snakes recently also. I do believe rain is called for tomorrow. Now when was the last time we seen that? A day ago it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I think we both have created a wonderful place for nature to feel comfortable. I was thinking about snakes this afternoon when I was out at the compost area. Years ago I was terrified of them, but now have learned to accept their presence in the circle of life. Having the black snakes around actually is an advantage keeping the rodents in check. We don't have a creek, but I love seeing yours! It has been quite rainy this spring. Hopefully it has helped the water table.

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful collection of birds you've seen. Fun! I like the butterfly, too. Happy watching out your window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen I do enjoy peeking out the windows, but really prefer being outside digging in the dirt! Have a happy evening.

      Delete
  8. What a delightful post, Martha Ellen! I absolutely love the name that your children gave to your beloved tree and I am happy that "the man in the brown suit" will continue to live in your yard! You have some lovely visitors in your garden! I always learn something when I read here. Today, I learned new things about the cedar waxwing. Your last shot of the rose-breasted grosbeak made me smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, when the cedar waxwings visited I immediately had to do some research on their behavior. One of the neat things about blogging is it keeps me in learning mode.
      Our children have vivid imaginations and delighted us when "the man in the brown suit" came to play in our backyard.
      I always appreciate your kind visits to my humble place, my friend. Have a nice evening.

      Delete
  9. Hello! My goodness, I love that quote!!!! And your photos are amazing. I am partial to the bird pictures. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and your photos. I always love my visits here with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! The photos of the birds are splendid. What a beautiful post. I love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥