Tuesday, September 24, 2024

What's Happening in My Garden and Beyond

 It's exciting to us to see variety of all things nature in our garden.  I believe the more variety you entice to your garden the healthier it is.  All wildlife is welcome here and we intentionally don't use chemicals that would harm if at all possible.  


I don't know about you, but my camera is usually in the opposite room when I wish to take a photo.  This was the case when I saw a Black-capped Chickadee on the dogwood.  By the time I reached my camera and returned to the front window I was surprised to find an Eastern Buebird in its place!


One afternoon I spotted a Silver-Spotted Skipper on the geranium blossom on the patio.  He obliged my desire to take his photo.


So many Yellow Tiger Swallowtails have graced our patio as well.  


I always am amazed when the Colchicum pop up in early Autumn.


Some people refer to them as Fall Crocus, but are not crocus at all.  My dear neighbor that shared these with me years ago used to call them crocus.  It's always nice to see them come up.  I understand they are poisonous as many plants are.  I'm not a fan of eating plants unless I really know they are okay to munch on!

When Grayden and I went out for our early morning walk we discovered a large Katydid perched on the door of our car.  


I'm not sure why he found the door a good perch, but we enjoyed seeing him.  He's related to the Cricket and is one of the night sounds of summer.


Maybe he thought the shadow was a potential mate. 

The next photo may not be to your liking.  So warning ahead if you don't like snakes!


I understand as I used to have quite an aversion and still can't say I'm in love with them, but they have a place on our planet.

This appears to be a Gray Rat Snake.  He is not venomous, so we don't need to be afraid.  He is defensive so we didn't bother him.  His diet is mainly rodents.  


I wanted to share another photo that I took last week in Culpeper.  Since it's not far we often visit there.



 After having lunch we enjoyed a stroll through the small town shops.  As we were walking Grayden spotted an interesting insect.


Unfortunately this is the dreaded Spotted Lanternfly.  I had heard of this invasion but had never seen one.  He is a plant hopper that prefers the Heavenly Tree (an invasive tree) as his host.  He eats grapes, stone fruits, soybeans, and apple trees causing extensive damage to crops.  Originally from China and Vietnam the lanternfly has spread to Japan, South Korea, and the United States.  Canada has intercepted Lanternflies in shipping crates in Ontario.  It's always nice to see another insect with which I'm not familiar, but this is one insect that I was very unhappy to see in Virginia! 

Thank you for taking a look at our recent observations!


"Having your head in the clouds, even for just a few minutes each day, is good for your mind, good for your body, and good for your soul."
Gavin Pretor-Pinney






 




10 comments:

  1. Although not a crocus, it is easy to see why Colchicum is called Fall Crocus.
    Beautiful butterfly photos, and I do hear you over the camera always seemingly inconveniently out of reach, but sometimes it's good to just be present in the moment and forget the camera. I know it means there is no image to share, but we miss out on so much by way of feeling in our rush to snap a capture.
    Keep these lovely morning walks coming!
    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Deb, I can't begin to tell you how often I forget my camera. The older I get the more that happens. It is fun to capture the unusual happenings of our lives.
      It's been quite rainy here this week so our morning walks have been traded for cleaning the house! Oh yes, cleaning is exercise!

      Delete
  2. You have no idea how happy it makes me to read this post. What an enlightened view of life you have, recognizing that all life forms are important, and all have their place in a functioning ecosystem, as do humans, of course, but we keep interfering with it, chopping it up, paving it over, poisoning it in as many ways as we can devise. I am grateful that your yard is a wildlife haven. Thanks for being so caring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you David. I am quite concerned for our ever changing planet. There are signs everywhere if we only pay attention to them! Each of us needs to do our part in the protection of earth. Thank you again for your caring voice.

      Delete
  3. It is lovely to see your photos of both flowers and little visitors Martha Ellen, such a treat to see. Couldn't agree more, all living creatures have a place here. Have a wonderful rest of the week my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I know you feel the same kindred spirit. I'm so glad you enjoyed my little creatures that have visited recently. Have a wonderful rest of the week as well, dear one.

      Delete
  4. Martha Ellen, I so enjoyed your post today, as I love all things of nature. You came across some good sightings, especially the katydid. Those are great photos of the little fellow. I love that little bluebird. Sometimes the bird photos showing their back sides are the best because you can see their wonderful feathers. I love that the gray rat snake eats mainly rodents, as you know I don't like rodents at all. What an interesting sight of the lanternfly. Be careful of him, he looks unusual. And you take the most beautiful photos of the tiger swallowtails. That sounds like a nice visit to Culpeper with lunch and taking a walk through the town shops. That cloud photo is so pretty, and a very special quote to go along with it. I will write that one down today.

    I hope you have pleasant October days ahead, Martha Ellen.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, you are so kind my friend. I'm so glad you enjoyed my post today. Clouds have been a little gray this week here, but the sun is trying to peek out now. I know you will remember to look up! Have a wonderful day.

      Delete
  5. Delightful to see all of your visitors, Martha Ellen! (Well, I can't say that it was "delightful" to see the rat snake. I am one of those who has an aversion to snakes. It's funny that Bekah, who has a serious aversion to crickets of all kinds, is not at all afraid of snakes. Go figure.)

    Indeed, your garden must be a very healthy place and I am happy that you share it with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I was "delighted" when Samuel announced there was a snake on the patio. It's funny, or not, I was thinking that we haven't seen any snakes for a while. I'm always on the lookout, though. That's interesting that Bekah has an aversion to crickets. I understand that one. I used to have a small line in our basement where I would hang delicate items. One evening I was putting on a robe from that line and found a cricket was inside after I had put it on. Needless to say I freaked out! Don't tell Bekah, I don't want to add to her aversion!

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥