Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Bruton Parish Church Rector and Colonial Williamsburg






Did you know that Colonial Williamsburg was restored because of the rector of Bruton Parish Church?   In 1926, the Reverend Dr. W. A. R. Goodwin dreamed of preserving Williamsburg's historic buildings.  He tried many times to secure funds from wealthy businessmen.  He approached Edsel Ford and was turned down.  He persuaded John D. Rockefeller, Jr. to fund the preservation.




Dr. Goodwin wanted the buildings that figured in the founding of our nation to be left to the ages.  Most of the remaining structures were in bad shape.  Dr. Goodwin and Rockefeller began to restore a few of the buildings.


Williamsburg was the capitol of Virginia when the colonist dreamed of freedom and independence.  Virginia encompassed land that stretched west to the Mississippi River and north to the Great Lakes.  Williamsburg was the capitol from 1699 to 1780 of this vast land.  It was here that the concepts of our republic were formed under the patriots, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, George Mason,  Peyton Randolph and others. These same men worshiped at Bruton Parish Church.




The enormous project that Dr. Goodwin and Mr. Rockefeller pursued cost a fortune.  Many buildings had to be removed and others were rebuilt on the original foundations.  Colonial Williamsburg continues to be a living museum for many generations to enjoy.  Over the years we have visited Colonial Williamsburg many times.  We have had Patriot Passes that enabled us to visit as many times in a year as we wish.  This week we did not go into the buildings that require a pass.  You can still enjoy much of Colonial Williamsburg in the shops, the taverns, the gardens, and the general beauty of strolling down the Duke of Gloucester Street.

Walk with us as we continue down the street toward the Capitol.




On our left is the Governor's Palace.  It's always been a favorite spot for me.  The palace green is lined with trees and serves as a backdrop for many annual events.

Continuing on down the Duke of Gloucester Street there are shops to stop and visit.  Inside them are mostly period items.


Creamware


After leaving the shop we continue on down the street and see the Magazine on the right.  This structure housed all of the munitions of the day.




Chowning's Tavern is a great spot to enjoy lunch or dinner or afternoon refreshment.




A lot of the homes that we see as we walk along, are rentals for short stays or for long term lease.  There are strict codes of what can and cannot be seen in the front and back of these homes.






The buildings that are open for tours are marked with the British East India flag.  Our current flag is patterned after this flag.




You can even have your letters posted here at the Colonial Post Office with the Colonial Williamsburg stamp.




I could live in this sweet little cottage!




Or maybe this one!




To me, it doesn't get any more charming than this!




BrickHouse Tavern


King's Arm Tavern

The King's Arm is a favorite of ours, but it was closed this week.




I must admit I didn't know what this meant.  After a little research I found that this is referring to the possibility of being tarred and feathered for being disobedient to the crown.  Yipes!  Even though it was threatened in Williamsburg it was never carried out as it was in Boston.

The Capitol is at the end of the Duke of Gloucester Street.  This is where the Virginia delegation voted to declare independence from England.




Thank you for walking with us in this special place.  I'll post some of the other interesting places in Williamsburg.  Even though the gardens are asleep, I think you would enjoy seeing the bones of some of the gardens.♥















30 comments:

  1. Oh! I love, love, love Williamsburg! Great history lesson! xo Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nellie. We are so lucky that Williamsburg is only a couple of hours away. We have even gone there for the day. It's like another world to me. xo ♥

      Delete
  2. You always take me along on your splendid vacation spots, Martha Ellen. Thank you for that. :) A lot of rich history here.

    Happy March!

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have you come along, Sheri. We love history and there is plenty here in Colonial Williamsburg. Happy March to you! ♥

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed your tour and the music, Martha Ellen. I didn't know you could lease long-term in the village. I wonder what that must be like to live there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I think it would be exciting to live in Colonial Williamsburg in one of the homes. I do think it would be a little like living in a fish bowl, though. I would miss my garden, but maybe I could work in one of the gardens or one of the homes as a guide. ♥

      Delete
  4. I saw your name over at Note Songs and decided to click and see. I just went through your posts on Colonial Williamsburg and so enjoyed them. I haven't been there since the 90's but always dream of going back. I enjoyed seeing the buildings and the information you shared about them. How fun to go there for Valentine's Day! I wanted to go to the antique mall but somehow we didn't make it. I saw lots of things I would've been tempted to buy in your pictures. I wanted my son to go to college at the College of William and Mary but he didn't share my vision! You've revived my enthusiasm to go back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you decided to come by, Liz. It's fun to have new friends stop by. Williamsburg is so special and I'm so happy that you have been there and enjoyed it! I hope you return as it is always something new to learn there. ♥

      Delete
  5. Thank you for another trip down my Memory Lane with the Penny Whistle accompaniment. I am incredibly fond of ecclesiastical architecture and always interested in the background stories as well as the bricks and mortar.
    It must be amazing to live there, as it would be in Clovelly in Devon which is a privately owned historical village but, as you say in reply to Cathy, much like living in a goldfish bowl. I don't think I could manage that somehow.
    As an aside, Dear Martha Ellen, have you seen the news about Peter Rabbit from the Royal Mint?
    ~~~Deb xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, dear Deb, it would be strange to have folks poking around your windows and doors! There are tiny little signs that remind you when it's a private residence. You have tempted me to want to visit Clovelly in Devon. Oh, and a Peter Rabbit coin! It looks charming! How wonderful for Beatrix Potter's 150th celebration! Enjoy your afternoon, dear one! xoxo ♥

      Delete
  6. Again, thank you for a little tour, of a place we have never visited.

    So glad that someone had the vision, to preserve this. And was able to convince a moneyed man, to fund it. We are in debt, to both of them.

    And oh those cottages!!!!!!!

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tessa, you are so right that we are in debt to Dr. Goodwin for his foresight! It would be a shame to have the history of this area paved over with more strip shopping centers. ♥

      Delete
  7. Such a wonderful place to visit! I was only there once and the temp was much to hot and humid (in the high 90's)I long to visit again some day! :-)
    How wonderfully you have laid out this post I so enjoy how you present all of your lovely travels and vacations!
    Sending warmth and love, Linnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear Linnie. Yes, Virginia can get quite hot and humid in the summer! I do hope you can return maybe in the fall or spring or at Christmas when it's all decorated in lovely natural materials.
      I love having you join us as we travel! Love to you, dear one. xoxo ♥

      Delete
  8. Thank you Martha Ellen for this trip down memory lane! Isn't Williamsburg just lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is lovely, Betsy! I think just about everyone loves Williamsburg. Thank you for sharing it with me! ♥

      Delete
  9. Oh, Martha Ellen! What a wonderful walk through Colonial Williamsburg! Thank you for sharing your photos and memories with us. It's definitely time to plan another visit to Williamsburg! I visited as a child, and can only remember the special 'feeling' of walking through history. I can't wait to soak up all of the history in person soon! ♡Dawn@Petals.Paper.SimpleThymes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, I know you will enjoy going back to Colonial Williamsburg! It is such a special place in Virginia and I am so glad Dr. Goodwin was able to convince Rockefeller to fund the preservation! Both men had a vision that benefits us all! I can't wait for you to experience it! ♥

      Delete
  10. The last time I went to Williamsburg was with my mother--she passed away in 1987. It's on my "to-do" list for the summer to visit again. Thanks for the photos, XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, we loved going to Colonial Williamburg with my parents as well. They loved it there. I have some great old photos of us there at Christmas. It's probably one of the reasons I love Williamsburg so much! Have a nice afternoon. XOXO ♥

      Delete
  11. I have a cross stitch my mother did for us of Bruton Parish Church. My parents loved Wmsbg and visited it as often as they could --- my dad built our midwestern garage styled after one of those Wmsbg cottages. Most garages there had very little pitch to them, thus the neighbors teased him about his garage with the steep roof. It was so nice and went with our wmsbg cape cod house. Nice to see all the different buildings! Glad you had a good trip there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dotsie, your cross stitch sounds like a treasure. I did one of the King's Arm years ago. Your parent's home sounds lovely. A steep roof must have allowed snow to come off easily in the Midwest. Have a nice weekend. ♥

      Delete
  12. Oh I had not realized that there were cottages that can be rented for a period of time...how fun that would be. Now I am trying to imagine what can be seen in front of the homes and back...only certain kinds of flowers in certain kinds of containers...am I getting close?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vee, I don't know the official rules as far as leasing goes. You can stay for a weekend or as long as your money holds out. There are homes that are leased more long term. I've only seen modern things(such as porch furniture) on covered screened back porches, etc. Colonial Williamsburg takes care of the gardens surrounding all properties. It would be a little confining to my tastes. ♥

      Delete
  13. Hi Martha! I hope you've had a nice weekend and thank you so much for popping in to see me.
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I never tire of seeing charming colonial Williamsburg, whether in person or in photos!! Thanks for sharing your visit with us. Having never visited in winter, I am enjoying your views. Yes, I'd love to see the winter gardens. I'll be watching for that post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an adventure in history. I need to take a trip there again.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥