Thursday, August 3, 2023

Going through the Strait of Gibraltar

 After leaving Lisboa, Portugal the Queen Mary 2 headed out  on its way to the Strait of Gibraltar!  The next morning as we entered the elevator on our way for our walk, Captain Aseem Hashmi was also in the lift (as it's known on the Queen Mary 2 and by our British friends).  I asked him if he was going up or down and he reminded me he never says "going down!"  Captain Hashmi is so funny and so quick with his quips. 

After our walk we had lunch in Britannia and went topside as we sailed through the Strait of Gibraltar!


The Strait of Gibraltar is one of the busiest shipping lanes on the planet.  From the Atlantic Ocean to the Mediterranean Sea we traveled through this narrow strait. It separates Europe from Africa.  At its narrowest point it is only 8 miles between  Point Marrique, Spain and Point Cires in Morroco.


The territorial waters of Morocco, Spain and the British overseas territory of Gibraltar are in our view!  The Mediterranean was sparkling with the sun shining on us as we made our transit.


The Rock of Gibraltar is exciting to see.  We both giggled and said, is this for real?  We had never dreamed of traveling through this area and we are so thankful!  Seeing the world on the Queen Mary 2 was not wasted on us!


The Rock of Gibraltar is 1,398 feet high and made of limestone.  Much of the top is protected by a nature reserve.  Over 300 Barbary Macques (Rock Apes) make their home here.   Also Barbary Partridges and many other birds and flora that are unique to the area can be found here.


I'm always on the lookout for lighthouses and it was quite easy to spot the Europa Point Lighthouse at the southern end of the Iberian Peninsula.  It is also known as the Trinity Lighthouse at Europa Point.  The lighthouse was inaugurated in 1841 during the reign of Queen Victoria.  It is operated by Trinity House, the authority of lighthouses in England, Wales, the Channel Islands, and Gibraltar.


The Rock of Gibraltar is inhabited by 32,688 people who live at its base.  Most of them are Gibraltarians that are the ethnic group native to Gibraltar.  The British Royal Navy maintains a presence here.  


Transiting the Strait of Gibraltar was thrilling for us as we traveled further into the Mediterranean Sea.  Thank you for sharing the joy we felt on this very special day as we continue our World Voyage!






 

21 comments:

  1. That is so cool to sail by the Rock of Gibraltar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic photos Martha Ellen and your captain certainly had a delightful sense of humor. Such incredible views! My hubby went to Gibraltar in his navy days. One of those Barbary Macques jumped down and ripped off his tour guide’s pocket right off. He still talks about it occasionally. I am going to show him your splendid photos. I know what we will be talking about tonight. Smiling here 🙂. Have a wonderful Friday and weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Denise for sharing about your hubby's adventure on the Rock of Gibraltar! I guess these macques are quite aggresive ones. Goodness...I'm smiling thinking about you two talking about this tonight! Captain Hashmi was quite the jokester, but serious when he needed to be. A good combination indeed. And you enjoy your day and weekend, my friend.

      Delete
    2. Thanks again Martha Ellen, we had a fun time chatting after both of us looking at your photos again. Enjoy the rest of your week.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know Trinity House had a lighthouse that far south! We have three in our immediate vicinity, if you know where to stand you can see all three! The furthest one out is the Smalls lighthouse at 21 miles out to sea. I love lighthouses too. How exciting for you to have seen this one on the Rock! Do you have a book where you mark off ones you have seen?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, lighthouses are so special to me. My dear late sister and I have visited many of them and even climbed them together. We used to go lighthouse hunting, back in the day. Your Trinity House Lights sound amazing. I hope they are still operational as many are no longer in service. Such a shame...I do not have a book of all of the lighthouses I've visited or seen from afar, but many, many photos!

      Delete
  4. Wow! What an amazing view! I love reading all the history, while looking at your pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie it was amazingly beautiful. I'm glad you enjoyed our photos. Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete
  5. So beautiful, Martha Ellen. I can see how you were in awe with it. The waters and the skies are so blue and pretty, and I like that lighthouse photo too. I'm glad you got to experience this wonderful trip., Martha Ellen.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
  6. This does look exciting, Martha Ellen. And that lighthouse -- that's wonderful. I'm a sucker for lighthouses, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not surprised you like lighthouses, Jeanie. They really are lovely sentinals guiding ships to safety.

      Delete
  7. How exciting and such beautiful views! I would love to sail on the Queen Mary 2 again. It was such a remarkable ship

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you said you had taken a trip onboard QM2, Pat. I hope you get a chance to sail on her again.

      Delete
  8. The view of that water must have been stunning. Your pictures are beautiful! I would have loved seeing that lighthouse. I am enjoying the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to have you join us on our special voyage, Mrs. White.

      Delete
  9. I'm enjoying your geography lessons and learning more about the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad, Cathy. We learned so much I do hope I can convey what we learned.

      Delete
  10. Lovely and I always enjoy seeing a lighthouse :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lighthouses are so special. Hopefully we will continue to see them, Jan! All the best to you.

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥