Sunday, July 30, 2023

Sunday Sightings at Home

Today the heat and humidity was less and I for one am so thankful.  I've mentioned how I love outdoors, so you can imagine where you could find me.  


Grayden and Samuel recently put together this new metal swing.  We've had two wooden lawns swings here in the past and you know what happens to wood outdoors.  Even with yearly maintenence they just didn't last long.  This frame is original to our children's swing set.  I can hardly believe it is over 50 years old, but it is!  This Mama smiles every time I see it.


Grayden saw me on the swing and brought out tea for me and coffee for him.  We both enjoyed swinging here watching the birds in our backyard.


The Mourning Dove is wondering why I haven't filled his watering hole.  I try to change the water every other day to avoid mosquito larvae from forming. 


We often have robins in our garden.  I think of my Mama every time I see them.  She called them Robbie--everyone of them.



Robbie the robin enjoyed a nice dip in his pool.  I try to keep water in all of our bird baths for them to enjoy on the hot days of summer.  Squirrels have been seen taking a drink from time to time as well.

Yesterday I was at the sink in the kitchen and couldn't believe my eyes!  Juvenile Bluebirds!  I quickly got my camera and felt lucky to view them out the window.


I have never seen them here before.


There must have been a nest fairly close by.  


We also saw a lovely butterfly at the Buddleia.  I believe it's a Great Spangled Fritillary. 


Simple times in our garden are really the best of times for me!





18 comments:

  1. Will your swing is lovely and such a treasure too. I can see you now sitting there with beautiful flowering vines planted at the base twirling up the frame. I love the photograph of the robin taking a bath. And what joy to have bluebirds! Won't it be grand if they make their home in your garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I like your idea of vines climbing over the old swing set. Yes, I would love it if these bluebirds made their home here! Have a great day, my friend.

      Delete
  2. What a pretty flock of birds for the day :) It's so hot here that the birdbath is constantly dry. I would love to have several around the yard and watch them cooling off in the water. I'm a bird fan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debbie, it's been very hot and humid here as well. Glad to hear you enjoy birds. Thank you so much for visiting my little corner today!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I love your new swing, Martha Ellen. That's special that the frame is the original to your children's swing set. How sweet of Grayden to bring you a cup of tea on the swing. I've always loved the brick on your house. Reminds me of my mom's kitchen that was all brick, and she plastered them herself! You got some delightful visitors in your garden - the robin, the bluebird, and those precious doves. One comes on my lawn every morning and collects twigs and such. I'm sure she's making a nest. That's thoughtful of you to keep water fresh and clean for all the critters. That is a neat bird bath that the robin is splashing in. Thank you for sharing your moments around your home, Martha Ellen. And I hope you have wonderful August days.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheri for commenting. I love outdoors and hope to sit in that swing this afternoon. I'm sentimental about our children and how quickly time passes these days. It's always enjoyable to see nature in action, especially in our own backyard! Take care and enjoy your week!

      Delete
  4. Graydon sounds like a prince! And I love your birds -- I don't see these here and they're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jeanie, he is! I'm married to an angel. This is the first time I've seen juvenile blue birds.

      Delete
  5. Hello! What a lovely post filled with happiness! The swing is beautiful. And I imagine the sweet memories you have in your heart when you use it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billie Jo, my happy place is outdoors. I've found that the older I get, places to sit are important around our yard, including this new swing. Since it's on our children's old swing set frame all the better. Yes, memories galore!

      Delete
  6. Martha, what a grand idea to give up on the wooden swings and put in this lovely metal one. And the fact that the frame was originally your children's swing set! Thank you for sharing your lovely garden with us. Seeing the robin splashing around in the birdbath made me feel so much cooler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean, I tend to gravitate toward more natural items, but the swing had to be metal this time. It is comfortable and quite enjoyable on these cooler days we're having now. Hope you are staying cool, my friend!

      Delete
  7. I have not seen a blue bird here in several years. I love seeing those pretty little birds, the finches haven't been around lately either. Miss them too. So sweet of Grayden bringing you tea. I will take a coffee along with Grayden, my favorite drink. Glad you can enjoy the outdoors. It's much more tolerable today and hopefully the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grayden will share his coffee anytime with you, Betsy! Hopefully the cooler days will bring the birds to your lovely garden.

      Delete
  8. Delightful photos Martha Ellen, and Grayden and Samuel did a wonderful job on the swing. Sweet of hubby Graden to bring out your tea. A lovely corner to enjoy. Your garden is so warm and inviting. Enjoy the rest of your week my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, we have been enjoying our swing so much since the humidity has dropped. I hope you are doing okay after the storm passed your area. Hopefully all is well with you, my dear friend. Enjoy your week as well!

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥