Friday, January 19, 2024

More from Colonial Williamsburg

Today I wanted to share more about our time in Colonial Williamsburg.  Going in the winter can be tricky, but delightful.


 Maybe you would enjoy going ice skating.  Though those days are over for us, many young ones were indulging in the cool weather that supports this outdoor space.

Taking our morning walks along the Duke of Gloucester Street is wonderful no matter the cold temperatures.


All bundled up, we walked here most of the weekdays we were there.  I can only guess the number of times we have walked this street!  We never tire of the scenery. 



The Colonial Capitol housed both houses of the Virginia General Assembly and the House of Burgesses from 1705 when the capitol was moved from Jamestown.  In 1780 the capitol was moved to Richmond.


As you can see the Raleigh Tavern is open for business.  How would you like to stay in a tavern that you would probably be sleeping alongside a stranger?  For men only, in those days you were lucky to have the money to indulge in such accommodations!  Most of the men were of the gentry class that had business at the Capitol. 


 We walked past these little darlings all bundled in their wool coats resting.


As well as these oxen in this pasture. These very large bovines are quite peaceful.  These strong bulls are used for pulling carts and plowing fields in the area.


  As you can see the sky is rather threatening.  The Sycamore trees that have been pollarded are so interesting in the winter!  Pollarding is an ancient technique of pruning a tree to keep it from growing too large.  Folks used to use the pruned wood to heat their homes. 


Colonial Williamsburg is known for the lovely live decorations that adorn the homes at Christmas.  Since we were there the first week of the new year it was too late to see the decorated homes.  Bruton Parish Church still had their wreaths and swags hanging until Epiphany, so I took a few photos there.


There is something so lovely about using fresh and dried materials in wreaths and swags!  If Virginia winters are too warm, these fruits do go bad and need to be replaced.  It's a good thing to share these spoils with our feathered friends.




Thank you for coming along with us to one of our favorite places!  I hope you are staying warm and cozy, my friends.











20 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us on your walk through Williamsburg Martha Ellen. It's my favorite place and we are overdue for a visit. I really do love the place, like stepping back in time. Your photos are outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I'm so glad you came along with us. I do hope you and Gregg get a chance to visit again before too long, but I'm sure you would like it much better with warmer temperatures! Stay warm, my friend.

      Delete
  2. Those wreaths are so pretty. I especially like the one with the oranges hanging from the brick. The sycamore trees look like huge dandelions blowing in the wind. And the sheep are sweet to see. It would be so interesting to see the people dressed up in Colonial attire while visiting there. The ice skating looks fun for the youngins.

    Thanks for sharing your trip with us, Martha Ellen. Have a pleasant weekend.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, you would really love seeing Colonial Williamsburg dressed for Christmas. It's quite lovely when all the homes have beautiful wreaths and swags all made with dried or live materials. I'm so glad you visited today and hope your weekend is full of joy.

      Delete
  3. Colonial Williamsburg is beautiful in all seasons! I always love seeing the lovely wreaths and garlands made with fruits and other natural materials. I'm glad there were a few left for you to see first hand! I hope that you are staying warm and cozy too, friend! It's cold here in the East, isn't it?
    ~ Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Cheryl, Williamsburg is beautiful all the time. I think of you and your style when we visit there, my friend. Yes, I heard on the weather that this is the coldest weather for a couple of years here on the East Coast! Brrr...21 degrees now and we'll not see the 30's today! We are staying warm and cozy and I hope you are as well, my friend!

      Delete
  4. I learned a new word, pollarding. Thanks for the explanation and the meaning. You know this place well and it must be a very comfortable place for the two of you to visit. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, going to Williamsburg is very comfortable for us--just feels right even after all the visits of the past. It's always fun to learn new words, isn't it? Those sycamores get my attention every winter we visit. Have a warm and cozy day!

      Delete
  5. Ah! Time in Williamsburg! One of my favorite places! We visited in October. Thank you for taking us along on this trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie, I remember that you recently visited. I'm not surprised it is a favorite of yours!

      Delete
  6. I wonder if the ice-skating rink is still up. I didn't know they had one. Grand girls and husband would love it, me, I am not going to start learning now, but might get coaxed into it. This is a wonderful way to spend the day in Williamsburg walking and maybe a bite and a shop or two. Do you stay in one of the houses there? I would like to do that myself. Staying a lot inside and keeping warm here, been windy mostly all day till not too long ago. Stay warm and I am sure we will get some more snow, I hope anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, I believe the ice-skating rink will be up until Valentine's Day or may later. At least that's what we've seen in the past. Your granddaughters would have so much fun. If you look at my last post it tells where we stayed for the week. Since we have timeshare we usually stay at either Powhatan Plantation or Greenspring's Resort. It would be fun to stay in one of the Colonial Williamsburg properties. Stay warm--I have been freezing all day!

      Delete
    2. I am going to look up the ice skating there and check into Williamsburg properties. Staying warm here so far. I just feel like a hermit of sorts. Staying in one area reading or doing a beaded picture. I need to grocery shop but it's just too cold for me. I hope you are warm. Gonna warm up with rain later in the week I heard, that can change though, probably get very cold with ice coming down. Hope not! Happy Sunday

      Delete
  7. Those wreaths are just gorgeous. I love the bright colors of the fruit with the anchor of the greens. Stunning to the max. It's been so long since I've been to Williamsburg. I should get my cookbook out! There were good recipes in that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, I wish we could have visited in December. The decor then is extraordinary! I have several cookbooks from Colonial Williamsburg as well. My husband would love for me to make their peanut soup again. It's a winner!

      Delete
  8. Hello! It has been years since I visited this beautiful place. As a teenager, I think the grandeur and history were lost on me. I would love to return! Thank you for sharing, and have a cozy evening, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome home, Billie Jo! I know you just returned home but I can almost bet you would enjoy Colonial Williamsburg again. You have a cozy evening as well, my friend.

      Delete
  9. It was lovely to see and read about your visit to Colonial Williamsburg.
    I thought the wreaths at Bruton Parish Church looked nice too.
    Thank you for sharing.

    It doesn't seem possible that we will soon be in the last weekend of January, the month does seem to be passing by quite quickly

    My good wishes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for coming along with us, Jan. I agree, this new year just began and another month is soon behind us. Sending you good wishes as well!

      Delete
  10. How neat to visit Colonial Williamsburg! I would have loved walking down that street and seeing the houses and landscape. The ice skating rink is so neat. We have a couple of those here in Vermont during the cold winter months. They are wonderful for the neighborhood to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥