Saturday, January 27, 2024

Traveling from Safaga to Luxor Egypt

When I was in elementary school we studied ancient Egypt.  I was fascinated by all things Egyptian. I even had a scarab bracelet and a watch with a scarab band. Later my sweetheart gifted me a scarab necklace and a scarab ring.  In high school my world history teacher took us to the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts to an exhibit with Egyptian mummies.  I remember visiting this fantastic place that showcased everything from jewels to ancient vessels used in the mummification process.  I remember thinking how wonderful to be viewing things that were three to four thousand years old. I've never lost my interest in ancient Egypt.  Never in my wildest young dreams did I think I would be able to visit the ancient land of Egypt! 

Today I'd like to continue sharing one of our World Voyage destinations.  When the Queen Mary 2 docked in Safaga, Egypt we had the perfect opportunity to take the excursion of my life!  Though it was going to be quite a long day on our journey to Luxor (ancient city of Thebes), we felt honored to have this opportunity to travel with an Egyptologist to the land of the Valley of the Kings.

This is our first visit to Egypt, so please pardon our excitement as we take off on our journey to Luxor.


The scenery out the coach window was desert with mountains and beautiful blue skies.  As we rode along our guide filled our heads with so much information about Egypt.  He called us all by the Arabic enduring term--Habibi.  Clearly this gentleman loved his job!

As we giddily looked out the window, it could have been a landscape from the moon!


 Continuing on we see small villages doting the landscape along with small farms. We see a canal that allows crops to grow along with people to live in small villages.


Egypt's major cash crop is cotton.  Because of the long strong fiber and softness of Egyptian cotton it is popular all over the world.  You may have Egyptian cotton towels in your home.




Islam is the official religion of Egypt.  The government only recognizes three religions--Islam, Christianity, and Judaism.  
 

Everywhere we looked folks were busy going about their daily tasks.  


The modes of transportation varied greatly.  We saw a lot of mopeds, small trucks, and carts pulled by donkeys.  Men were selling fruits and vegetables alongside the roads.  


Muslim Mosques dot the landscape.  The tall tower (minaret) call the followers to prayer five times a day by a man called a muezzin.  Some mosques use recordings and we heard both.  


Passing Police checkpoints we were cleared for our journey to Luxor.  Though troubling to pass through these areas, it made us realize that the world is not the same as it is at home. These checkpoints occurred every 30km (18.64 miles).  Of course we wanted to be safe and felt that way during this journey.


I could hardly believe we were about to cross the Nile and enter Luxor!  


The Nile river runs north flowing into the Mediterranean Sea at Alexandria.  Most of the population of Egypt, since ancient times, have been around the valley of the Nile. It is considered the longest river in the world, but when we went down the Amazon a few years ago they made that claim as well!  Let's just agree that they are both long flowing rivers.


We are headed into the Valley of the Kings as our first stop.  I can hardly hold my excitement upon visiting a site that was part of the ancient city of Thebes.  It is the burial site of almost all of the pharaohs from 1539-1075 BC.  
 

Our guide tells us that the structure we see was the home of Howard Carter.  You may remember that he was the British archeologist and Egyptologist that led the team that discovered Tutankhamun's tomb.   


Lord Carnarvon (of Highclere Castle) hired Howard Carter to lead the excavation in the Valley of the Kings.  In November of 1922 Carter and his team discovered the secret chamber of the Boy King known as Tutankhamun.
As most of you know Highclere Castle was used in the filming of Downton Abbey. 

Hopefully I'll be sharing our time at this extraordinary site that will forever be imprinted on our hearts and minds.  I need to post this time in Luxor in several parts as we visited many sites that day.  I hope you will join us as we remember our time in Luxor!



  


 

 


21 comments:

  1. What an amazing journey, indeed! Thanks for taking us along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very welcome, Carrie. It was a visit that I longed for long ago!

      Delete
  2. It must have been amazing to see what Egypt looks like in person. It is so interesting to see daily life and the landscape. Thank you so much for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. White, seeing daily life is a wonderful part of traveling that we enjoy so much. I'm so happy to share it here.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure you've watched Death on the Nile -- don't you love it when a movie has the sites that you saw "for real"? It must have felt like a dream come true to see this region that you had long been fascinated by -- and in such a special way. I will look forward to more of this journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, in person has been so interesting for me! What we saw "for real" blew me away. Agatha Christie was fascinated by Egyptian archaeology and it definitely influenced her writings along with others famous writers. I'm so glad you will join us as we remember this amazing time.

      Delete
  4. Oh Martha Ellen, your post hit home for me, as my mom had a real connection with Egypt as well, so I smiled when I read that you are fascinated by all things Egyptian. When she was in her 70's, she said, "I want to travel to Egypt"....and she did! The picture of the cart and donkeys is so charming, as well as the big truck loaded with fruit. The Nile River is ancient, how wonderful that you got to cross the Nile. The Valley of the Kings sounds interesting. That is so neat that you have an Egyptian bracelet, necklace, and ring. When my mom returned, she brought me home some earrings, bracelet, and a trinket box, and knowing they are from Egypt make them so special to me. What a wonderful trip you had, Martha Ellen. I look forward to more of your Egyptian posts. : )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, I'm so glad your mother was able to visit the place she was so fascinated with! It's wonderful when the places we have dreamed of visiting come true. By the way, I visited here in my 70's as well and will never forget it! I would love to see your Egyptian pieces if you feel like sharing them.

      Delete
  5. How exciting! All the more so with your enduring fascination and love of the Egyptian. My own love affair began when there was an exhibition in London, although I did not attend, and I bought a ring, a replica of Tutankhamun's death mask. My ex visited on his USN "Med Cruise" and brought back some marble replicas of the Sphinx and Neffertitti. I remember making a hand stitched beaded collar and tunic in art school for our historical research project based on ancient Egyptian drawings. I have even named my storage room the Howard Carter Room!!
    I look forward eagerly to our next installment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I'm not surprised to hear of your love affair with all things Egyptian. I would love to see your pieces you have collected! The hand stitched collar and tunic sound amazing. I love that you named your storage room the Howard Carter Room!

      Delete
  6. This truly was a trip of a lifetime. How nice to have such an appreciation of Egypt before you were able to visit these sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, visiting Egypt was a place I never thought I'd be able to visit. I'm so thankful for this opportunity.

      Delete
  7. How fascinating to see such a different part of our world! So much history . . . thousands of years! Looking forward to seeing Luxor through your eyes!
    ~ Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, I'm hoping to do it justice. It was amazing to say the least.

      Delete
  8. Wow! What an incredible trip Martha Ellen! I also have an interest in Egyptology. A fascinating culture to be sure. You certainly have seen amazing sights. The info on Howard Carter was very interesting and your photos are absolutely outstanding! Thank you for sharing them my friend 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I still find it hard to believe we were able to take this trip. Egyptology is a subject that continues to fascinate, doesn't it? More and more is discovered as archaeologists and scientists study this culture further. Thank you so much for your kind comments, my friend. It's really fun revisiting our photos and remembering.

      Delete
  9. Martha Ellen, my favorite version of 'What a Wonderful World' is by Louie Armstrong. I wrote a blog post about it, but can't seem to find it. But if I do, I'll share it with you. It's a beautiful song, and it was so good to hear that you love the song as well. It's always a joy when you come and visit, dear friend. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an interesting trip to Egypt! Did you visit the new museum in Cairo?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting. The GEM is not open yet, but I'd love to visit Cairo one day.

      Delete
  11. Our youngest son has always wanted to visit Egypt, and I hope that sometime in the future he will be able to.
    Fascinating post and photographs of your travels.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, I do hope your son will be able to visit Egypt! It is beyond amazing. Thank you for your kind comments.

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥