Saturday, January 10, 2015

Mama's Black Cast Iron Frying Pan



Do you use cast iron to cook with?  I love the way it cooks most anything.  I have a couple LeCreuset pieces.  The large dutch oven is in service most of the winter for making soups and stews.  Roast beef gets a wonderful sear using cast iron.  I also have the large brasier that is great for making sauces and anytime you need a large skillet.  These pieces are quite pricey, but will last a lifetime and can be passed on to your children. LeCreuset is great about replacing their pieces if you need to-at no cost to you but the large postage it takes to send them back.  I had to do this last year and received two brand new pieces in return.




My very favorite piece of cast iron is my Mama's black cast iron frying pan.  I can see my Mama cooking in it every time I use it.  She made the best pork chops and gravy. Also her fried chicken was great, even though she wasn't a big fan of chicken.  We definitely didn't eat low fat when I was growing up.  She cooked bacon and eggs in it- sausage and eggs and chip beef gravy.  Mama loved breakfast and often had breakfast cooking way before anyone in her home awakened. There is magic in that black cast iron pan that is hard to explain.  When it was time to clean out the belongings of my parent's home, I found there were three cast iron frying pans.  I gave one to each of my children and I kept one.

The care of a cast iron pan is quite simple.  Some say to never put water in one, but I must say my Mama always did.  Just wipe it clean with a wet cloth and put it on your burner for a minute on low.  I then pour just a little olive oil in the pan and wipe it with a paper towel.  There are many ways to revive an old rusty pan. Check out  https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/seasoned-cast-iron-use-and-care.asp  The best thing you can do for your black cast iron is to use it.





Today I made cornbread in my Mama's black cast iron frying pan and found myself dreaming of her.  That black frying pan reminds me of all the love and sacrifices my Mama made for me.

Chili and Cornbread




7 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories you share again. I love my cast iron pans. My only problem is they are too big and I am looking for smaller ones more appropriate to the size of my household. Thank you for the link, I do need to save my pans. They need re~seasoning desperately. One of my favourite things to make is pizza. I have a clear glass lid that keeps in all the juices so I can use them for pretty much everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, sometimes I see cast iron in yard sales or antique shops. Maybe you can find some small ones there. With our college aged son living with us, pizza is a favorite around here. ♥

      Delete
    2. Deborah, I meant our grandson lives with us. ♥

      Delete
  2. I have one of my mother's cast iron skillet, too. But it has a ridge on the bottom so I can't use it on my smooth-top stove. I do, however, make cornbread in the oven with it. My mother would fry chicken in her largest one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I wonder how a ridge was formed in a cast iron skillet. Cornbread is so good made in cast iron. ♥

      Delete
  3. Hi Martha, Just catching up with your last few posts. I don't do most of the cooking in our house, but when it comes to making chili, I am the chef. Don't use a cast iron pot, however. I do have a cast iron corn bread mold. I see your "Friendly Village" dishes, have them as well. TEA POST: LOVE tea...but coffee too. The best I've tried of late is Taylors Earl Grey.. the bergomot oil flavor is so delicious. As a tea lover, you would enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri, I believe I've had Taylor's of Harrogate Earl Grey--it that the same? I do love a strong bergomot oil flavor. I'll have to look for it again. ♥

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥