Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Teapots and Mugs and Nanny



These are the mugs that stand at the ready for tea or hot chocolate.  This shelf  hangs on the wall in our kitchen.  I began collecting these mugs about four years ago.  The top and bottom shelf hold mugs by Emma Bridgewater.  The mugs in the center were bought in Williamsburg and from Susan Branch.   





I keep most of my teapots on a shelf in our Florida room.  I alternate these teapots to the kitchen as the seasons change.  Some of these teapots were gifts.  The small teapot on the left top shelf belonged to my Nanny.  It's special to me as she was very special to me.  She used to make me paper dolls out of the Sunday newspaper advertisements.  We never know as grandparents the influence we have on our grandchildren. I was very lucky to have my Nanny for many years. After I married and had children she came to visit in our home many times.  My children knew her very well. She was quite the character. She always had a parakeet and would always bring Petey with her to visit.  All of her parakeets were named Petey.


My Nanny came to mind today as we were making s'mores outside with our grandson.  


8 comments:

  1. Hello Martha Ellen! I didn't realize you had a blog! How lovely! I adore your teacups and teapot collection! We share several of the same mugs! I look forward to seeing more of you here in blog land! Take care! XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosinda, I'm just starting out here. I'm still finding my way around. Thank you so much for stopping by, sweetie. xo ♥

      Delete
  2. What a lovely collection you have, and so beautifully displayed. I hope you use them often {I use mine daily}
    The influence of our grandparents is untold, and we often don't realise this until we are older. What sweet memories you share.
    ~~~Deb in Wales~~~
    p.s. excuse my ignorance, but what is a Florida room?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deborah, I do indeed use my teapots. Remember I'm a member of the teapot league!
      I must agree we don't appreciate the influence of relatives until we are older. How fortunate I was to have many relatives that made me the woman I am today.
      A Florida room is basically a room that has many windows--of course sunny like Florida. Our Florida room has eleven windows and is the most popular room in our home. Even though today is cold and snowy, it is the room I'm in now. ♥

      Delete
  3. I'm really enjoying seeing your collections and how they are displayed. I see you don't need to win Susan Branch's newest give-away. How did you come to have two EB "heart" teapots? Nanny sounds like she was a wonderful grandmama. It is wonderful that your children got to know her, too. And I love that all her parakeets were named Petey. This is my second Poetry the Calico cat. Her full name is "Poetry, too" and I will probably name the next one "Poetry, too, also". :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, I really don't need to win Susan Branch's giveaway! If I do, I'll send it to you! My first teapot started to craze and Susan Branch sent me another one. They didn't want it back and I don't have the heart to throw it away. I'll use it to display flowers. Love that Poetry lives on! ♥

      Delete
    2. And if I win I'll send you the can of tea because I don't like Earl Grey!

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥