Friday, February 12, 2021

Godrevy Lighthouse

 

I have always loved lighthouses.  We have visited about every lighthouse along the Eastern Seaboard and many on our trips to the Caribbean and those in California.  My late sister and I shared this love and along with her husband and mine we always were on another adventure to visit these beacons of light.  Staying in a lighthouse that had been converted to a bed and breakfast was a thrill for us.  Just two weeks before my sister left this earthly world, we climbed the Assateague Lighthouse together.  Though she was suffering with pancreatic cancer, she scaled the lighthouse with ease.  I will never see a lighthouse without thinking of my dear sister, Susan.  

When we left St Michael's Mount in Marazion, Cornwall, England we were quite close to Godrevy Lighthouse.  It was only natural that we traveled to have a look at this beacon.


The Godrevy Lighthouse sits on Godrevy island in St Ives Bay, Cornwall.  After finding a spot to park the car we walked along the beach path to get a better view.


The Godrevy Light stands at 86 feet tall off Godrevy Head.  It marks Stones Reef which is the site of many shipwrecks.  No lighthouse was built until the the SS Nile crashed here sadly claiming all 40 souls onboard in 1854.  There had been many pleas for a lighthouse to be placed here before then.   A local clergyman, Rev. J. W. Murray started a petition to Trinity House to have a lighthouse built at Godrevy.  Trinity House is the authority for lighthouses and other navigational aids for England, Wales, the Channel Islands, and Gibraltar.   


 The lighthouse sits in the center of the island.  Originally there were cottages for the lighthouse keepers.  The lighthouse was designed by James Walker and engineered by James Sutcliffe in 1857.  The construction took over a year and the lighthouse became operational in 1859.  The first light was an oil lamp powered by a first order Fresnel lens by Henri Lapaute of Paris.  A fog bell was also installed.  Lighthouse keepers stayed on the island for two month on and one month off rotation.  In 1933 a second order lens was installed.  By 1939 no light keepers occupied the island and their cottages were removed.  In 1995 the light was modernized with solar panels that you can see to the left of the lighthouse.



 Godrevy lighthouse is said to have inspired Virginia Wolf to write To the Lighthouse even though she locates her story in the Hebrides on the Isle of Skye.  She had spent her childhood summers at Talland House in St Ives that looked at the Godrevy light. 





Since it is low tide we saw many folks enjoying the beach among these large rocks.  I can imagine there are interesting treasures to be found at low tide.  You can really see why a lighthouse was needed.  


We enjoyed seeing the coastline of St Ives and were happy to see the lighthouse.  After our long day in Cornwall visiting St Michael's Mount and Godrevy Lighthouse it was time for us to make our way back to Devon.


The sun and clouds highlighted the patchwork fields as we traveled along the roads.


The pastoral scenes of England always delight me!  You wouldn't believe how many photos I snapped while Grayden was driving.




Driving to our home away from home the sun begins to shine.  Our hearts are full of happy memories from a glorious day! 



   





28 comments:

  1. The pastoral English countryside thrills me, too. What sweet memories you have with your sister enjoying lighthouses. So sorry for your loss. I've enjoyed your Golden Anniversary Great Britain trip re-visits. I'd love to visit Great Britain again. Lord only knows if that will be a reality for us in the future. Happy Valentine's Day weekend to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ellen, I do hope we will both get to go again to Great Britain. Who would have thought this pandemic would last so long. Like you, we have had plans cancelled. It is a treat for me to share our times there. Have a wonderful Valentine's Day weekend!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful pictures and commentary of your visit! We’ve never been to England, though I dearly want to go! I fear we might forget to come back home.:-) I send sympathy for the passing of your sister. Sending special hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nellie, I can hardly believe my dear sister has been in heaven for eleven years now. She will forever be in my heart. Great Britain has a strong appeal to me and to many because our ancestors came from there. It's one of the few places we have traveled that feels like home. Have a happy Valentine's Day, my friend.

      Delete
  3. I love lighthouses too. With careful planning, you can see the beams from three, but as I say, careful planning, for it means venturing to the coast path at dusk. I don't know if you know the story of the Small's Lighthouse? Very spooky indeed. I miss so deeply the echoing boom of the lighthouses foghorns in the fog that often engulfs us. The price we have paid for modern technology. Actually, I am not sure if they still flash or not, either. What a lovely memory to have of your sister. I know you miss her so deeply. Eleven years is the blink of an eye.
    Happy Valentine's Day to you and your Very Special Man!
    Deb in Wales xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I must look for the story of Small's Lighthouse. So many have wonderful tales surrounding them. Susan and I adored venturing up the ones we could and then reading as much as we could find about their history. Technology has certainly changed everything, even the very machine with which we are corresponding. Happy Valentine's Day to you, dear friend!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for showing us that lighthouse, I also love them and have seen several but not enough! What a grand adventure you had there. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have never seen enough lighthouses, either, Teresa! Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  5. I can believe all the pix you took while Graydon was driving! I'm the same. (I call them my drive by shootings -- I've thought about compiling them and when I get my computer back with my photos, maybe I'll have to do a post on that because there isn't a whole lot of other stuff to post these days!). I love seeing the lighthouse in Cornwall. You're right -- with all those rocks, they are lucky to have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeanie, some of my best photos are taken from the passenger's seat of a vehicle. Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  6. Your memory of your sister climbing the lighthouse brought a tear to my eyes, it’s those sort of things that keep those we have lost alive.
    I have spent several holidays near to Godrevy and St Ives and have always enjoyed them very much. One particular, when my son was very small (about 28 years ago), I remember him falling asleep and I made a make-shift tent with beach towels to protect him from the sun. My daughter particularly enjoyed the rock pools there. Thank you for sharing your photos and thoughts of the area. I do so enjoy your trips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing your times in Godrevy and St Ives! I love hearing the memory of making shade for your son. I can just imagine playing about the tide pools there.
      My sister and my memories of her are never far away. Have a wonderful evening.

      Delete
  7. I always enjoy your travels and photos! Thank you for sharing this one. I love lighthouses and their histories.💖

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoy traveling with us, Susan. Lighthouses are so special and have special meaning to me and many.

      Delete
  8. Such beautiful pictures. I do the same when Steve is driving, snapping away. I love these pastoral scenes and enjoyed reading about this beauty of a lighthouse. Such lovely memories of your sister and I am sure it must seem like yesterday when you both climbed to see the light.
    My childrens great grandfather was a lighthouse keeper and their grandfather used to tell them stories of the hard work along with good times there on White fish Point in MI. I love reading about your adventures in England and seeing those beautiful pictures you share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy, it's so nice to hear that your children's great grandfather was a lighthouse keeper! How wonderful his son passed on the stories of his father! I loved hearing stories from my own parents and grandparents. It certainly links our past to the present.
      Though my sister has been gone for eleven years, her memories are close. Happy Valentine's Day!

      Delete
  9. What a pretty lighthouse, and it is surrounded by a beautiful view. That's so special that lighthouses remind you of your dear Sister, Martha Ellen. Wow, the patchwork fields you drive by are so unusual and lovely. Jess used to live about 5 min. from the ocean, and there was this lighthouse overlooking the beach. I'll never forget it, as I always took pictures when I visited her town.

    You have such sweet memories of lighthouses, Martha Ellen, and dear memories of your Sister.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lighthouses are such important navigational aids to marine vessels. From their beginnings of a simple bon fire to today's technology, they have saved many vessels from harm's way. I'll always link my sister to my love of lighthouses, Sheri. Have a happy week!

      Delete
  10. Martha Ellen, I share your love of lighthouses! The Godrevy is a beautiful one on such a craggy shore. I was always excited to visit lighthouses, large or small, and felt fortunate to live so many years on the east coast where there were many. Peggy's Cove in Canada and the Nubble Lighthouse in Maine are among my favorites.
    Did you read "The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter" by Hazel Gaynor? It is a novel based on a true story and I enjoyed it very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lighthouses are so special and the stories they tell are wonderful, aren't they Pat? I have not read "The Lighthouse Keeper's Daughter. " I will see if I can find it. Have a great week!

      Delete
  11. Thank you for sharing the love of lighthouses that you shared with your beloved sister. No doubt, you probably feel both love and sorrow when you visit one now. It is amazing to me that she climbed the Assateaugue lighthouse only two weeks before her passing! (As an aside, our family has visited the Assateaugue lighthouse too.)

    The history of lighthouses is fascinating and Godrevy Lighthouse is no exception. They are such symbols of safety and hope for the traveler at sea. Your photos are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear that your family has visited Assateague Lighthouse, Cheryl. I so love the beach nearby. Memories of Susan visit me often, but especially when I see a lighthouse.

      Delete
  12. Gorgeous photos and love the scenery. I was greatly saddened to learn you had lost your sister. I lost mine 11 years ago and in some ways it still seems like yesterday. So sorry my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, I'm sorry we both share this incredible loss. Susan passed away eleven years ago as well. I so agree, it seems like yesterday. Do take care of your heart, my friend. xo

      Delete
  13. Scrumptious scenery and interesting that To The Lighthouse may have actually been based on this place.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such peaceful scenes, your photographs are lovely.

    I am sorry for your loss but you do have wonderful memories of your sister and lighthouses, she is forever in your heart.

    Sending my good wishes across the miles.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have aways been thrilled by the sights of the pastoral English countryside!! The patchwork fields are so beautiful. I also would have snapped a thousand pictures.....especially those filled with sheep. Another love of mine ❤ So glad you have those sweet memories of your sister. Now she will be with you in your heart and soul on each new lighthouse that you visit!! 🥰💗

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The English countryside is spectacular, Belinda. My sister visits my heart daily and especially when I see another lighthouse.

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥