Saturday, November 25, 2023

Making Turkey Stock

Do you make stock with your leftover turkey after it has been trimmed of meat?  I had posted my way of making chicken stock and actually it is identical to that--just using the leftover turkey bones.  Any bones from meat would work for stock such as beef or pork.  I am reposting this recipe for any of you interested making it and storing it for future soups, stews or other dishes.  We had a 22 pound turkey this year, so I had to pull out both my large and smaller slow cookers.  After putting them on last night before we went to bed our home was smelling wonderful when we woke up this morning.  Now I have several containers of this gold to pull out of the freezer when I want to use it.  

Making Stock

Do you make stock?  It's the most simple thing you can do to make the most wonderful soups, stews, and sauces.  I prefer to make chicken stock.  If you are vegetarian you can make stock from vegetable peelings.  Today I'd like to show you an easy way to make chicken stock.

There are all sorts of "official" ways of making stock.  I am not a chef, but I'll show you a very easy way to make chicken stock in a crock pot that my daughter taught me how to do. I used to make this stock on top of the stove--but when she told me about using the crock pot it's much easier.

Last week I made roast chicken for our family.



After we enjoyed the roasted chicken for one meal, I removed the remaining chicken from the bones.  I made a chicken pot pie with that meat.  A chicken can give our family many meals.  Be sure to save all the bones from your chicken. Now you are ready to make stock.  It's so easy, it's hardly a recipe.

Put into a crock pot:



All of your bones from your chicken
2-3 washed carrots
1 stalk of washed celery
1 whole onion with skin on that has been washed
1 bay leaf
10- 15 whole peppercorns
Your can also add fresh herbs if you have them, such as parsley, sage, rosemary or thyme.
If you don't have fresh herbs your stock will still be wonderful.
Cover with water and cook overnight on low.  Your home will smell wonderful when you wake up in the morning.





Turn off your crock pot and let cool for an hour or so. Then strain the stock through a colander or sieve into a large bowl.  I always let that cool and put stock into 1 quart containers and then cool completely and then into the freezer. When you are ready to use just pop into microwave to thaw. You can then use them in any recipe you wish.  You can make soup very quickly with this stock. Homemade is so much better than store bought stock! 





18 comments:

  1. You're so right, Martha, homemade is soooo much better than store bought. I freeze it in quart jars. But I've never thought to make it in the slow cooker before. Must give that a try next time. I love things that simplify my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you give it a try next time, Jean. When my daughter first told me that she did this it was a light bulb moment. It is so much easier for me. The results are the same as the stovetop-delicious. Love your idea of using quart jars!

      Delete
  2. Growing up Monday was always chicken soup day. I've never seen anybody stretch a chicken as far as my grandmother did. Nothing ever went to waste with her, although I never saw her boil down turkey bones. When I came to live in America, I came across a recipe for Turkey soup. So after Thanksgiving, I boiled the bones and reduced the stock. It was then frozen. Being British turkey is our Christmas tradition. So after Christmas, I would boil down the bones from the. Christmas Turkey and add it to the stock from Thanksgiving and make a delicious soup for New Year's Day when we always had a house full of company for lunch. My recipe served 18 hungry people. It was quite honestly one of the most delicious soups I have ever had.
    I hope you and Grayden and the family enjoyed your Thanksgiving repast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like our grandmothers were the same, Deb. My grandmother always made the most delicious baked chicken. Sometimes when I bake one I get that same wonderful fragrance that takes me back to her kitchen. I particularly love turkey stock as it is the most gelatinous of all stocks that I make. Your turkey soup sounds yummy! I love making soup for a crowd as well. It's so warming and comforting.
      We had a lovely Thanksgiving, my friend. Now I'm trying to relax as it is quite a feat at my age to get it all together. I'm determined to do it a bit longer. Have a cozy day, my dear friend!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, that all looks wonderful Martha Ellen! It is so much better to have your own stock. I am going to bookmark your recipe for the next time. Thank you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so easy and so delicious, Denise. Quite a bit more flavorful than store bought. Have a lovely afternoon, dear friend.

      Delete
  4. Rick's stock never gets out of the kettle -- it immediately gets turned into turkey soup -- and mighty fine it is, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't usually make turkey stock. Yours looks really good, Martha Ellen. When my son made the turkey, he kept all the drippings for leftovers. You put lots of nice vegetables in your stock, and I think the added herbs make it even better. My son put vegetable seasoning on the turkey this year, and I think that's why it tasted so good. Your roasted chicken looks delicious too. Your kitchen must smell wonderful, Martha Ellen.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, stock is so good with the added vegetables. I'm so glad your son saved the drippings. I hope they will all make you feel better. I did make a turkey soup with some of our leftover turkey and this stock. It was so good. I wish I could share some with you!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the reminder about making turkey stock. I froze the carcass and then forgot about it. Your broth is lookin real good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh this looks so good! I am thinking a little broth thickened with heavey cream poured lightly over flat noodles. Now I am hungry Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound good, Betsy! Homemade stock is the best for all dishes.

      Delete
  8. Homemade is always much better than store/shop bought :)

    My mouth is watering at your lovely photographs, many thanks for sharing the recipe.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jan, thank you for stopping by. You are right homemade is better than store bought! Have a lovely evening.

      Delete
  9. Martha Ellen, the green in the Rice Krispie treats was the green and blue cereal that was mixed together with the marshmallows and butter. I thought it looked liked festive colors for Christmas, although I'm not sure if it came out around St. Patrick's Day. It was a limited edition, so those are always nice to get. You got snow, how wonderful! I'm sure ours will be coming soon. ; )

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥