Monday, November 14, 2022

A Little Day Trip from Williamsburg

When we were in Williamsburg a fellow told us about a new to us restaurant we might want to consider trying.  It's always nice to have good seafood while in the Tidewater area.  Grayden suggested we give it a try.  Going to this restaurant we would need to take the free Jamestown to Scotland Ferry across the James River to Surry county.  It's always fun to do that!




Light rain was falling as we headed to the car ferry that would carry us to Scotland, Surry County.  The Virginia Department of Transportation operates this ferry.  There is a lot of talk about ending this service and building a bridge to take its place.  The gentleman we were talking to told us that the folks in Surry do not want this at all.  I can understand this would really change the rural area that is here.
 

The gulls and the cormorants sat perched on the pilings as we drove onto the ferry.  


To the left of the ferry entrance is the Jamestown Settlement.  The recreated ships of the Susan Constant, Godspeed, and Discovery are visible from our car.  If you visit Jamestown Settlement you can come aboard these recreated vessels that sailed from England in December 1606 and arrived in Jamestown in May of 1607.


We passed the other ferry that was returning from Surry County.  Virginia Department of Transportation owns four ferries that run back and forth.  The Pocahontas and The Powhatan can carry 70 vehicles.  The Surry and The Williamsburg can carry 50 vehicles.  The ferries were running on their Fall schedule ---every half hour.


After exiting the ferry we drive a short distance to have lunch at Surry Seafood Company.


We were happy to see patrons enjoying their meals.  It's always a good sign to frequent a place that has local police officers eating there in our opinion.  My Daddy always said that and included truck drivers as well in the mix.  


We were seated at a window overlooking Gray's Creek.  We ordered the seafood platter that was quite delicious!  I'm sorry to say I didn't take a photo of our crab cakes, scallops, shrimp, and fish.  I guess I was too hungry!


After lunch we decided to take a walk along the dock behind Surry Seafood Company.  


As we walked down to the floating docks Knockout Red Roses were in bloom.


The floating docks gave us a good view of the Surry Seafood Company and Inn.  Gray's Creek is obviously navigable as we see sailboats along with other small boats.


We both enjoyed seeing the mooring ropes so neatly positioned by very good sailors.



As we walked back to the parking lot we spotted a large Purple Martin House.


Purple Martins are swallows that rely solely on bird houses to nest and are dependent on them for survival. They prefer nesting in colonies so that is why you see the many houses in one spot offered.  If you have spent any time around water you have hopefully seen their acrobatic antics and their sweet chattering.  This particular house was installed and monitored weekly for citizen science study by the Virginia Master Naturalist Historic Southside Chapter. 




Taking a little day trip from Williamsburg added to our celebration.  Thank you for joining us!











 

20 comments:

  1. Hello! I am so happy that you shared this lovely day trip with us! I have never been, and from the looks of it, I need to put it on my list! Your photos are beautiful and your lunch sounds delicious. Seafood is second only to pasta in my favorite food order! I hope you are having a cozy November, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Billie Jo. I think you and your family would enjoy a trip across the James on the ferry. November has been quite warm for us, but now is more seasonal. I hope you stay cozy!

      Delete
  2. Glad it was well worth the trip to enjoy the food at this restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We say the same, if it's not exclusive, then eat where the hauliers dine! It's always lovely to find a new eatery, and I don't think this will be your only visit!
    I don't understand the obsession with building bridges to replace ferries linking to islands. They did it on Skye. I can understand the need when traffic flow becomes an issue, such as the two Severn crossings, but not when the ferry service is more than adequate for the demand. Ferries add a certain charm. No wonder the locals are fighting to keep theirs at Jamestown. Have an enjoyable evening. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, it is quite concerning when there is so much development going on. I want my grandchildren to be able to see rural areas when they grow old. Our own town has changed in enormous ways in the past 50 years. I know a lot of folks that live in Surry rely on the ferry to go to work every day and a bridge would make it easier for them. Most folks realize it will change the area forever. Stay safe and well, my friend!

      Delete
  4. I love a ferry ride. What a shame they are thinking of discontinuing it for a bridge. The restaurant looks wonderful and it sounds like you had a terrific dinner. Seeing Jamestown reminds me of visiting long ago. It's such a fascinating part of the country!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The surrounding communities have petitioned for this not to happen! Hopefully it won't! We had a great adventure riding over on the ferry. This whole area as well as the whole state is full of history. So glad this post brings back memories of your visit here, Jeanie.

      Delete
  5. The ferries sound delightful, Martha Ellen. Have never been on one. The bridge may be an easier way to cross, but I understand the town folk not wanting this change. The seafood platter sounds delicious. I'm not much of a fish person, but I do love lobster, shrimp, and crab. The red roses were so pretty as you walked down to the docks. Love the photos you took of them. And the swallow bird house seems to be a good creation for the dear birds. It sounds like a wonderful day trip spent with Grayden, Martha Ellen.

    ~Sheri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheri, I knew you would like the red roses. It was a lovely day with my sweetheart. Happy Day to you.

      Delete
  6. What a pleasant day! I hope the locals are listened to regarding the ferry vs. the bridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully the locals will be able to keep their rural area rural, Vee.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely trip. I've lived in Virginia all my life and have never heard of this hidden gem. I would love to visit - both the town and the restaurant!! Such nice photos!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you came by for a visit. Maybe you can travel to this area some day. Thank you, Jennifer.

      Delete
  8. A wonderful trip and a new restaurant? It's now on our bucket list, thank you Martha Ellen :) I enjoyed seeing this area again through your camera lens. I haven't taken the ferry in several years. Always love a ferry ride! A new bridge would change it there. Sometimes I wonder about the word 'progress'. This would be one of those occasions. Thank you for another lovely post, very enjoyable. That cold weather is here now isn't it? It will be down to 35 degrees F. tomorrow. Stay warm my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denise, we were very thankful to have this recommendation passed to us. I'm so happy you enjoyed our little adventure. It really gave us a good reason to use one our days and take the ferry across the James. I'm with you about "progress." We really noticed the cold weather this morning as we took our walk. The temperatures have been unseasonably warm and now we must wrap up more. I hope you stay warm and cozy as well, my friend!

      Delete
  9. Indeed, I thank you for taking us along! I'm glad that you found a great new restaurant. I think that taking a ferry ride makes it even better! (I love a ferry!) The scenery is beautiful, and I, too, appreciate the neat and tidy rope. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ferry ride does make it more fun, Cheryl! We were so impressed by the mooring lines all neat and tidy. Thank you for coming along, my friend. It was a lovely day.

      Delete
  10. I'm a little late to this post, but it looks a very enjoyable trip.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jan. We enjoyed this day trip so much! All the best to you.

      Delete

Your comments will show after moderation. Thank you. ♥